To all of those who have a CNC router
I would sure love to know what you think of this free software.  To me it looks really easy to use and download to a CNC file.  InkScape.org

https://inkscape.org/en/

Mike?

Also here is a link to a guy who used it to make wooden hinges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Z2CazfSUM

I can use all the advise you guys have.  I am looking for something that is free or close to it so I can start learning how to do this again.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I like the hinge, I think I’ll run a few. Thanks for the idea!
VH07V  
I really like inkscape, and it's free, so I suggest you try it.  So far, I haven't tried to feed the output into a router, but it's on my list.  I used it to make designs for model airplane coverings.  It takes a bit getting used to, but if you have ever used adobe illustrator, it all makes sense.
What CnC machine setups are you using? I'm in the market for one.
I personally have vectric vcarve pro arlin so have not needed inkscape. There is a free download for it and an amazing vectric forum. Honestly its by far one of the simplest software pieces to use and will get you.up and cutting very quickly. Its like $400 for small machines and $800 for larger machines. It is 2.5 d. Aspire is their 3d version and it is $2k. I hope to upgrade my copy to that someday. Again this stuff is amazing. If you choose to sell your work these are great investments and will pay you back.

Fusion 360 seems to be another favorite and it is free for folks to use if you make less than $100k a year with it.

The shapeoko camp guy like free and cheap so research Williams wiki on that.

Get that free demo of vcarve!

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I agree with Mike about vcarve. I have aspire.....and it's all I need. I wanna upgrade to the new version (version 9) because the made buttons to make things much easier...like rail sweeps for something like making custom moldings for example.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I have Aspire also and it can output cut files for many different cnc machines. I haven't used inkscape but I would think you would need a cam program take you files into and output a usable Gcode file that your machine can read.
Tons of inkscape plugins including gcodetools.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/2221-Free...r-Inkscape

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

To tell you want I want to do is start learning how to use a software package now so when we get the funds we can get a 3 or 4 axis CNC router set up like Mikes but way smaller.

Mike

do you have a link to the free vcarve software?

Desert Dave

I have nothing as of yet.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
You can go to Vectric and download free trial versions of any of their software and practice.  The files you make can be saved and when you purchase the software they are usable.  You can also run some of their samples on your machine to see if the it will run properly.