another build thread...
(01-21-2018, 09:12 AM)Rick Barton Wrote: So what was the book?
Smirk

Brandon Sanderon    Oath Bringer/ Book 3 of The Stormlight Archive........

9-1/2" tall...needs a shelf 7+" deep.    My son has a lot of books about the same size
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(01-21-2018, 12:25 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Brandon Sanderon    Oath Bringer/ Book 3 of The Stormlight Archive........

9-1/2" tall...needs a shelf 7+" deep.    My son has a lot of books about the same size

Ah, so you're making this for your boy, that's very cool.
Smile
Got a bit of work done, today....wanted to S4S the two side pieces.....some of the edges didn't quite match each other...we have ways
Uhoh

Stanley #70 SW  Scraper plane

Took the high spots right down.....there was a few places for a couple other planes to work on

Like edges needed straightened.   Stanley #6c, T-10 helped out, along with the Millers Falls #14.....goal was to get both sides to match..

Well, that was the plan.
No ....had to trim the board on the bottom, to match the one on top....

Then S4S the second plank....I still had the locations for three shelves laid out....more on that, in the next exciting episode

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Ok, this will involve the use of a corded tool...sorry about that, but
Uhoh 

I needed to cut a few sockets, for sliding dovetails.....so I can install the shelves, later...
Home made fence, set to guide the bit in the center of each location.

Got one plank done, came time to do the other...had to set the fence a bit differently
Rolleyes  

And pull the router towards me.   No biggie.    Once all the sockets were done,  I set up a different type of fence 

So I can mill a "pin" on the end of each shelf...

Decided this could wait until later...decided to get back to hand plane work

Coming up next episode....stay tuned
Winkgrin

Raised
Ok, back to hand tool stuff
Winkgrin 
Wanted to milled a rebate along the "back" edge of the sides....to house the 1/4" plywood back.  Set up Old Reliable
Rolleyes  

With a #17 cutter.   Depth set so the plywood would be flush, and not show, and a lip was set up

Something like this.   I had a scrap of the plywood handy, to double check things..

Going across those sockets didn't seem to bother anything....got both rebates milled
Winkgrin  

Had to double check things, to make sure I was adding the rebate to the correct edge....didn't want one in front, and one in the back, plywood doesn't quite work that way.....Once I made sure, then I could mill the other rebate....made a lot of shavings on the floor...
No  

Almost wished I had turned that fan on...I was soaked.   Might have done a wee bit too much, today?  

Stay tuned, maybe tomorrow, I can add some shelves?  
Uhoh
Nice continuation of work. Have you given consideration of videoing you journey? Nothing fancy, just a static GoPro set up in the corner of your shop and maybe some quick editing so we can get the gist of how you are doing things.
(01-21-2018, 06:50 PM)Tynyyn Wrote: Nice continuation of work.  Have you given consideration of videoing you journey?  Nothing fancy, just a static GoPro set up in the corner of your shop and maybe some quick editing so we can get the gist of how you are doing things.

Don't have any video stuff to use.....don't know how to edit it, either.....someone else would have to do that....
With the router still set up....made a few cuts..
Uhoh

Just to check the set-up.....got bored, and finished the cuts..
Rolleyes  

Got all the ends milled, so...out came the hammer
Uhoh   

And drove each shelf in, until flush with the front.....which left about 2" to add a filler to..

Then I can add a back to the case.   Need to add a top, and cleats to attach this to the bottom case.   Some other day,,,I am plumb tuckered out.  
No
Uhoh 

Was no glue used, just a tight, press fit.   May add a spot of glue, when I add the filler strips. 

Stay tuned....
Winkgrin
Decided to try a bit of work, BEFORE Lunch.....hauled a board to the shop...squared one end, marked a spot 26" from that, and made a crosscut.  Turn the leftover end for end, marked a 26" line again....there WAS a huge knot way out on this end....since it was beyond the 26" mark...no biggie..just lopped it off.   Laid the two pieces side by side..

Seems the edges will need a bit of work?
Uhoh  

We have ways....
Winkgrin  

I took the time to mark the "show" sides...with a big "V"
Winkgrin  

Took  a while, but was finally able to spread a bead of glue, and add a few clamps
Cool   

And decided to let it sit a while...after all, it was Lunch time
Winkgrin 

Need to haul a couple more planks to the shop...AFTER Lunch....Face frame parts, and door parts are next. 

Stay tuned....
Cool