Chinese Characters on Turned Plates
I like to combine turning and simple carving.  Saw a recent project by Mary May where she carved a Chinese proverb on a round wooden disc.  I liked the idea of Chinese characters on a turned wooden plate.  So, I Googled Chinese characters and found them to be very interesting then planned some projects using some Cherry blocks I had.  Result is a group of hand-held thick plates with Chinese characters carved on the tops.  They'll be good for holding in the palm of the hand and stroking the carving details with the fingers.  These tactile gifts will be nice Christmas mementos for family members.    

Here are photos of one of the mementos.  The character carved on this one is "Courage."  The wood is Cherry.  The item is 4 inches diameter x 1-1/2 inches thick.  Finished the turning with Minwax Antique Oil finish then buffed to a smooth glossy finish.  

Happy holidays.

Tom

Very nice!
I am curious what other symbols that you chose.

Does cherry carve easily?
(12-24-2017, 12:15 PM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: I am curious what other symbols that you chose.

Does cherry carve easily?

So far, have also done "Faith" (1st one below) and "Family" (2nd one below) Chinese characters.    These plates are also 4 inches diameter.  There are many other interesting Chinese characters to choose from ... here's link where I acquired the three I've done so far --  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/260434790928176235/   There are quite a few "Chinese Character" links one can access via Google searching.

Cherry is a nice tight-grained hardwood that lends itself to lathe turning and detailed carving ... carving tools need to be very sharp for good, crisp detailing.  I used several small Veiners and a couple of small V-chisels for the Chinese Characters.  

Regards,

Tom