One last gift... wooden spoon.

I needed one last stocking stuffer this morning so I decided to make a quick spoon.  I had some fun and filmed the process.  I don't have a carving knife or curved chisel for doing the spoon bowl but I do have a nifty jig which allows me to quickly carve it.   The jig is shown at around 3:15 or so.       This is my first multi shot video and I don't have any decent software so feel free to fast forward over the dull parts.      Raw log to finished spoon using a bandsaw, carving head, lathe and edge sander.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Nice job,I really like your jig for carving the spoon bowl.Nice job on the video as well.Hope you and the family have a very Merry Christmas.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
From wood pile to Christmas gift in minutes.  
Cool
That spoon jig is pretty slick. I've never seen one like that before. If it's your design, you need to submit that to a magazine.

Also I liked the push pad holder on the joiner. Going to make one of those for mine.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
Thanks Terry.  I've never seen a jig like that before either but they could be out there.    The most expensive part is the Lancelot carving blade on the grinder.  Rather then use my good grinder I purchased a $15 Harbor freight model for the jig.  It has two bolt holes on the head for the repostionable handle so I used these to bolt the grinder head to the jig.   A $2 chunk of threaded rod forms the lift mechanism and scrap wood forms the rest.  There is very little flex when in use but the last few cuts need to be shallow so there is no left over ridge.   I've made much deeper spoons with the jig but the wood I chose for the video limited the width / depth.   It is capable of cutting a good 1-1/2" deep recess.

The push pad holder is simple  L shaped hardwood pieces on a piece of 1/8" plywood.   The jointer cast iron is pretty easy to drill and tap.  I used one mounting bolt which allows the holder to swivel if I bump into it.  I'm happy with it.    The jointer is also modified in that I removed the upward mounted handle for the fence.  This allows me to tuck the jointer tight up to the tablesaw island.   When dressing rough lumber I joint one edge and then rip the board in one step without having to move very far or set the board down.  I've had and preferred this setup for a couple decades over three shops.

[Image: tablesaw%20island.jpg]
WoodNET... the new safespace