I need help with a screw
Seriously. I'm trying to resurrect what could be a pretty nice filliester plane and one of the screws for the fence is broken. I think the biggest problem is that I don't know what type of screw it is. Can someone tell me what kind of screw I should be looking for and/or a source? TIA.
[Image: 3R58gKwm.jpg]
[Image: 7MhWp7jm.jpg]
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Strangely enough, I think the head is called a fillister head. I'd say you're looking for a fillister head wood screw, maybe a #8.
I think it is a fillister but some may call it a cheese head. Which I think is incorrect but still.
(12-24-2017, 11:37 AM)DaveParkis Wrote: Seriously. I'm trying to resurrect what could be a pretty nice filliester plane and one of the screws for the fence is broken. I think the biggest problem is that I don't know what type of screw it is. Can someone tell me what kind of screw I should be looking for and/or a source? TIA.

McMaster-Carr has THEM!
Cheese head screws are flat on the top - think of a wheel of cheese:
[Image: 1092mildwax-web-jpg.jpg]

Fillister heads are similar, except the top surface of the head is slightly domed - subtly so, in the same way that an oval-head screw is domed in contrast to a round-head screw.
(12-24-2017, 09:48 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Cheese head screws are flat on the top - think of a wheel of cheese:

Fillister heads are similar, except the top surface of the head is slightly domed - subtly so, in the same way that an oval-head screw is domed in contrast to a round-head screw.

That is the way I learned, too, but McMaster does it the opposite way as do some other parts distributors.
(12-24-2017, 11:37 AM)DaveParkis Wrote: You will notice that your screw has coarse wood screw threads. A modern fillister or cheese head screw has machine threads, much finer. If you can find a 1/4" lag bolt short enough, grind or file the head round and use a hacksaw to cut the slot. That should work. 
Or, use the machine thread screws and put a threaded insert in the plane body.
Good luck!

Seriously. I'm trying to resurrect what could be a pretty nice filliester plane and one of the screws for the fence is broken. I think the biggest problem is that I don't know what type of screw it is. Can someone tell me what kind of screw I should be looking for and/or a source? TIA.
A pocket hole screw might do the trick for this.