band saw choice
my son is needing a band saw for his shop so I think there are a few options.
1)  I can get him the 14" wen.  looks like the craftsman (which is not available)
        I don't think this is a great saw by may be passable
2)  I have a G0555 with riser, about 10 years old maybe older
        I could give this to him and get a new one
        maybe the G0555lx that's on sale now (still need to get the riser with it)
3)   keep my current saw and give him the new one

I am giving anything up keeping the new saw or is it better than my current.  the biggest difference seams to be the new one has cast iron wheels,
I also though about upgrading to the G0513 17" saw but really dont think I need the bigger size and could use the cost difference on something else.

thanks
gary
sorry, one other choice.  although I have a shop full of green, the rikon 10-324 looks like a good option.
price is not much more than the griz if I get it with free shipping.

thanks for looking.
gary
(12-25-2017, 07:31 PM)garmar60 Wrote: my son is needing a band saw for his shop so I think there are a few options.
1)  I can get him the 14" wen.  looks like the craftsman (which is not available)
        I don't think this is a great saw by may be passable
2)  I have a G0555 with riser, about 10 years old maybe older
        I could give this to him and get a new one
        maybe the G0555lx that's on sale now (still need to get the riser with it)
3)   keep my current saw and give him the new one

I am giving anything up keeping the new saw or is it better than my current.  the biggest difference seams to be the new one has cast iron wheels,
I also though about upgrading to the G0513 17" saw but really dont think I need the bigger size and could use the cost difference on something else.

thanks
gary

Fifteen years ago or so, my first 14" bandsaw was one of the Griz models; installed a riser block on it and it did the job for a few years. Decided to upgrade and went for the Rikon 10-340, their first model of the 18 incher. Very nice saw that I got for <$1,000 at the time and am still using. 

Always enjoyed getting tool gifts from my dad; I'm certain he'd be proud of any tool gift from you.

Doug
Smile 
Over the yrs I have had several BS most Delta/Milwaukee,Rockwell,and Crescent and PM's as you can tell all older saws which I love and would not trade them.One of the things that I miss would be opening the box on a new machine,being that first owner.That itself is a gift,give the man a new saw still in the box,unloading it off the back of UPS truck
(12-29-2017, 07:13 AM)karoc Wrote: Over the yrs I have had several BS most Delta/Milwaukee,Rockwell,and Crescent and PM's as you can tell all older saws which I love and would not trade them.One of the things that I miss would be opening the box on a new machine,being that first owner.That itself is a gift,give the man a new saw still in the box,unloading it off the back of UPS truck

Great advice, big thumbs up
New or old saw probably won't matter for him, as long as the saw runs well.

Do buy some fresh blades and show him how to set things up.

Very thoughtful gift.

Matt
(12-29-2017, 12:31 AM)Tapper Wrote: Fifteen years ago or so, my first 14" bandsaw was one of the Griz models; installed a riser block on it and it did the job for a few years. Decided to upgrade and went for the Rikon 10-340, their first model of the 18 incher. Very nice saw that I got for <$1,000 at the time and am still using. 

Always enjoyed getting tool gifts from my dad; I'm certain he'd be proud of any tool gift from you.

Doug

+1 on 10-340.  great saw from a great company. for OP. i'd go with Rikon ans wouldn't look back.
there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
Thanks for the all the ideas. My son is getting my used stuff. He wants me to upgrade more tools and pass currents to him. He also lives Close enough to me that he can always come over and use my stuff if needed. We are now looking at a larger saw 17 or 18. Griz 513x2. Missed the sale and now price increase. Or the Rikon 18. I just don’t see the advantage of the griz 14” resale version
Thanks
Gary
(01-02-2018, 07:51 PM)garmar60 Wrote: Thanks for the all the ideas.  My son is getting my used stuff. He wants me to upgrade more tools and pass currents to him. He also lives Close enough to me that he can always come over and use my stuff if needed.  We are now looking at a larger saw 17 or 18. Griz 513x2. Missed the sale and now price increase. Or the Rikon 18.  I just don’t see the advantage of the griz 14” resale version
Thanks
Gary

Just one more thing on the Rikon 10-340; I bought mine at a Woodcraft store in the Atlanta area. Had to order it and when it came in I went up and picked it up in my Expedition - they actually loaded it for me and I got a couple of friends to help me unload it into my shop (daylight garage basement). I had already bought a mobile base for it so we just sat it on the base and wheeled it into the shop.

The only reason I mention this is that they did not charge me anything to have it shipped to the Woodcraft store. If you can do the same thing, you can save a little money by transporting it home yourself.

Good luck,

Doug
Gary,  I have the Griz GO513x2,   a very nice saw, and I think a number of us have it.  I read a post somewhere saying it was one of the best bang for the buck bandsaws around.  I think the Rikon gets nice reviews as well.  One downside to the Griz is that the bandsaw blade is an uncommon size, so you will likely need to mail order any blades.  That is probably true for most bigger saws, though I think the last time I was in Woodcraft, I did some some longer blades on the shelves, but the GO 513 uses a 131 1/2 and I have never seen that in stock in a brick and mortar store.   Also, if you read any reviews on the Griz here,  all the posters agree the stock blade that it comes with is worthless, so make sure you get some blades.