Talking about bird houses
(12-26-2017, 07:17 PM)Duane N Wrote: Cedar is my choice of wood for my bird houses and feeders and have used Pine but pine doesn't hold up to the elements.  I got my hands on 2 bundles of Cypress cut-offs for cheap last month and plan on making a few Bluebird boxes and one Screech Owl box out of the bundles.

Cypress sounds pretty good, however, it does not grow in Iowa so will have to see how sells it sometime.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-27-2017, 11:10 AM)KLaz Wrote: Composite wood.  Last a long, long time....

[Image: 39304797212_6570c387b7.jpg]" />

So where do you get it and is it cheap enough to make it worth while?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(12-26-2017, 03:30 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: What is the nicest wood that you have used for making one out in the weather.

Me I have almost used pine from the store but have also used red ceder
White oak.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
(12-26-2017, 05:04 PM)Cecil Wrote: Locally we have a sign company that gives away its cutoffs to whomever is willing to haul.  Therefore, I use red cedar.  Prior this is source, I used scrap pine.

I read recently about what woods are best..Said some species refuse to nest in red cedar because of the smell...but I have no experience with it...I have always used pine but recently came into some redwood 1X12 about six feet long. Price was right..got them free !!!!!
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Also how do you guys attach everything?

Nails
Screws
Glue
Joints
???

I have used a pin nailer but they pulled out.  Then I used screws and they kept it all but look unsightly.

Don't use treated wood or plywood; use only natural untreated wood.
https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking...e-projects
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(12-31-2017, 05:05 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Also how do you guys attach everything?

Nails
Screws
Glue
Joints
???

I have used a pin nailer but they pulled out.  Then I used screws and they kept it all but look unsightly.

Stainless trim screws for me.  Houses of eastern white "cedar" with the outside rough for grip, inside planed for fit.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(12-31-2017, 07:16 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Stainless trim screws for me.  Houses of eastern white "cedar" with the outside rough for grip, inside planed for fit.

Need the rough side in. Used planed lumber once and killed a bird. He couldn't climb out the smooth boards and died inside the birdhouse. A section of screen or rough sawn will give them something to grab to climb back to the entrance hole. The young birds will need this also to reach the entrance/exit. On my house I used a radial arm saw to run a series of crosscuts 1/8" deep like a ladder for the birds to use. No more dead birds.

Ken
(01-01-2018, 08:42 AM)TangoTwo Wrote: Need the rough side in. Used planed lumber once and killed a bird. He couldn't climb out the smooth boards and died inside the birdhouse. A section of screen or rough sawn will give them something to grab to climb back to the entrance hole. The young birds will need this also to reach the entrance/exit. On my house I used a radial arm saw to run a series of crosscuts 1/8" deep like a ladder for the birds to use. No more dead birds.

Ken

When you use the recommendations as dimensions, the birds manage the elevation with nesting material.  

Slick is easier to disinfect in the fall, too.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(12-28-2017, 07:32 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: White oak.

longest  lasting ones i have are out of white oak