Talking about bird houses
(01-01-2018, 08:42 AM)TangoTwo Wrote: Need the rough side in. Used planed lumber once and killed a bird. He couldn't climb out the smooth boards and died inside the birdhouse. A section of screen or rough sawn will give them something to grab to climb back to the entrance hole. The young birds will need this also to reach the entrance/exit. On my house I used a radial arm saw to run a series of crosscuts 1/8" deep like a ladder for the birds to use. No more dead birds.

Ken

I read that to and now I use the table saw to make groves for the feet to use.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-01-2018, 11:59 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: When you use the recommendations as dimensions, the birds manage the elevation with nesting material.  

Slick is easier to disinfect in the fall, too.

MichaelMouse,

It was a blue bird house built to dimension. Bird went in before a nest was built, never got out.

I clean the houses out every spring but never considered disinfecting them too. What do you use?

Ken
(12-26-2017, 03:30 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: What is the nicest wood that you have used for making one out in the weather.

Me I have almost used pine from the store but have also used red ceder

Red wood. Nothing beats it.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
red cedar and aromatic cedar are different.
(12-31-2017, 05:05 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Also how do you guys attach everything?

Nails
Screws
Glue
Joints
???

I have used a pin nailer but they pulled out.  Then I used screws and they kept it all but look unsightly.

Narrow crown staples or 18ga brads and titebond 2.
The fronts are screwed on with #6  hex head screws, allows easy cleaning. If the scew holes get stripped, you can replace with #8 or #10's

Joints are just overlapped......nothing fancy.

I stick to Bluebird & Wren houses, the Bluebird houses will have Tree Swallows most of the time.

Ed
(01-02-2018, 08:25 AM)TangoTwo Wrote: MichaelMouse,

It was a blue bird house built to dimension. Bird went in before a nest was built, never got out.

I clean the houses out every spring but never considered disinfecting them too. What do you use?

Ken

Bleach solution.  Not the best choice for killing mites, but using insecticide is not a choice.  The birds are good about removing most of the poop, but there's always some to feed bacteria.  

Never trapped a bird over the years.  I'm sure a few nestlings have died, but the parents took care of removing their remains.  Only place I have seen reference to interior "ladders" has been for purposely deep boxes like for ducks, where predators can easily get through the hole.  As mentioned, it's what you exclude with hole size and depth as much as what you permit.  That's why the boxes I make have double thickness at the entry, to make sure one of those sharp-beaked big birds can't reach in far enough to get a nestling.  https://www.uniquebirdhouseboutique.com/..._House.jpg

Probably unnecessary, but I mount the houses on PVC pipe covered T poles, too slick for 'coons or even snakes.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(01-03-2018, 06:41 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Bleach solution.  Not the best choice for killing mites, but using insecticide is not a choice.  The birds are good about removing most of the poop, but there's always some to feed bacteria.  

Never trapped a bird over the years.  I'm sure a few nestlings have died, but the parents took care of removing their remains.  Only place I have seen reference to interior "ladders" has been for purposely deep boxes like for ducks, where predators can easily get through the hole.  As mentioned, it's what you exclude with hole size and depth as much as what you permit.  That's why the boxes I make have double thickness at the entry, to make sure one of those sharp-beaked big birds can't reach in far enough to get a nestling.  https://www.uniquebirdhouseboutique.com/..._House.jpg

Probably unnecessary, but I mount the houses on PVC pipe covered T poles, too slick for 'coons or even snakes.
I cut everything on the band saw..And I drag the inside front panel backwards across the blade to roughen it up....I had an aviary for years and raised cage birds and that how I made the nest boxes...I used 1 1/2" pin nails but also waterproof glue.. For wild birds,.I made the bluebird boxes with a sloped front and long, overhanging, slanted roof..Made it difficult for predators to hang on and reach inside because they had to hang almost upside down.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-26-2017, 03:30 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: What is the nicest wood that you have used for making one out in the weather.

Me I have almost used pine from the store but have also used red ceder

I made this July 2011. Bald cypress. No finish.  I heard it was good for outdoors. I took the 2nd pic today. It's been looking crappy for 2 - 3 years at least. 

I was hoping for finches or bluebirds. Other birds enlarged the opening. Sparrows have been the only tenants. Made to look like a local landmark.

Attached Files Image(s)

(01-04-2018, 04:07 PM)hairy Wrote: I made this July 2011. Bald cypress. No finish.  I heard it was good for outdoors. I took the 2nd pic today. It's been looking crappy for 2 - 3 years at least. 

I was hoping for finches or bluebirds. Other birds enlarged the opening. Sparrows have been the only tenants. Made to look like a local landmark.

Wow that hole did get bigger and it did not weather to well either.
Laugh   However if it does not leak it is OK.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-04-2018, 05:38 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Wow that hole did get bigger and it did not weather to well either.
Laugh   However if it does not leak it is OK.
Yes

Far from a purist approach, I often use an outdated car license plate for a roof on wren houses.