I finally dropped a plane
messing with some conduit and knocked it off of a cabinet from near ceiling height.  Fortunately it was a wooden jack plane, so I can't find any damage.  I don't use the planes on top of the cabinet, but I'm glad it wasn't one of the metal planes.
Lucky it did not jump on your toe. Perhaps now you will rethink that "ceiling height" storage plan for your poor planes.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Probably ten years ago, I was getting an extra Bedrock base cleaned up and ready for a photoshoot
Laugh  so I could list it on the bay. It slipped from my grasp, hitting the concrete.
I threw it in my scrap stash out back.
Slap
Slap
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-27-2017, 06:39 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: Lucky it did not jump on your toe. Perhaps now you will rethink that "ceiling height" storage plan for your poor planes.

I was standing on a ladder 8 feet away from its trajectory, so it would have taken a really lucky bounce to hit me.

I am moving those cabinets as soon as the wall they are going on gets painted.  Cabinets will touch the ceiling on this install, so no storage on top.  But I'm not sure what to do with those 10 planes, should probably reassess the need to keep them. I need more plane storage anyway, so I'll probably keep them.

Of course, the one that fell is the best of the bunch. I was recently thinking I should tune it up and use it.
I'm paranoid enough about things like this that I've covered most of the shop floor with 3/4" thick dense rubber mats from the borg. Its a pain when I have to roll machines around, but my feet sure like them.
I knocked a vintage #7 off a (cluttered) work table a couple months back and broke the handle off the horn.  
Upset

I was able to glue it back and it aligns ok but will now require some sanding and refinishing.  I suck.  
Crazy
I think sooner or later all of us see a tool hit the floor. Like rick, I have lots of mats on the floor. They are both for my feet and, to lessen the chance of a tool taking a dive onto the concrete. I imagine most of us also have a similar experience as EricU in that it happens as an accident somewhat unrelated to the project at hand.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
(12-28-2017, 11:35 AM)mr_skittle Wrote: I think sooner or later all of us see a tool hit the floor. Like rick, I have lots of mats on the floor. They are both for my feet and, to lessen the chance of a tool taking a dive onto the concrete. I imagine most of us also have a similar experience as EricU in that it happens as an accident somewhat unrelated to the project at hand.

We all have dropped something on the floor at one time other. Lucky you didn't get hurt to bad tool wise. Usually it happens at the worst possible time and causes the most possible damage.

Tom