How To Hold This Piece
I have an inside-out turning of a flower that some time ago I did the first part of the turning but not the second part.  I turned one side, split the blank apart then glued each of the sections together.   What I have looks a bit like this vase with the open end but the outside still needs to be turned.   I had already drilled a hole in the base.   I tried threading it onto a cut off bolt but it started spinning on the threads.  I tred gluing some dowel into a hole I had previously drilled and holding that in a drill chuck, it broke the dowel.   I could turn a tapered jamb chuck and put the open end over that but I'm afraid I'll split the sections if I press it on hard enough to hold it.  I have to cut the broken dowel off anyway, maybe I'll drill another hole and try again with another cut off bolt.  

I want to finish this for my MIL birthday this week.  I also want to come up with a way to do these for possible sale.  My problem has always been holding them for the second turning.  Right now during the first turning I turn the tips of the petals completely and I turn most of the base of the flower.  I'm thinking at the moment that possibly drilling a hole in the base of the flower and threading it onto a mandrel  for the second turning is going to be my best option.  I can turn a tapered center that I use with my cup or cone live centers in the tail stock.  

[Image: 4e9c588e62d4204d496fb485e3fc467a--woodtu...urning.jpg]
Small face plate?

I have not done much turning.  With that said, I have done the following.

1) Drilled a 1/4 hole in the center of my turning
2) turned a step dowel.  The larger diameter fit the inside of the face plate tightly.  The smaller diameter, at the tip, was 1/4"
3) set the face plate on the turning. Insert the dowel through the face plate and into the turning.  This centers the face plate nicely.
4) Screw on the face plate

Just an idea from someone with little experience.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Just what I would do is put it on a 3" block and cut it on the bandsaw and then finish sanding it.  I put it on the block since it would hold the pedals off of the surface and also easier to handle while cutting to.

Also by the way Nicely Done to buddy.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin, that picture isn't mine... that's just kinda sorta what mine looks like.
Smile I may glue a waste block to it and just put it in my chuck, or re-drill for a dowel and use that as a tenon into a waste block.
JMHO, with one piece of wood; start turning outside first, sand, finish. Next turn the inside sand & finish, then cut slots with dremel saw or over at the bandsaw sand & finish. Lastly cut off tenon sand & finish. I often wait to sand & finish inside/out until only thing left is cut off the tenon then sand & finish base.
Bill
Do you have a pic of the actual piece?

What sizes is the diameter of the hole from the bolt /dowel?
I am curious too as to the original orientation of the stock photo vases pieces before they were turned around. Were they turned 90 or 180 degrees?
I have found that dowels bought at the store tend to be very soft even though they are supposed to be birch.

I have a great set of tenon cutters that can make dowels up to 3” long. They allow me to make my own in 3/8”, 1/2”, 3/4” or 1” diameter in any species. I have, more than once, used these as a stem to complete a turning.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(12-27-2017, 07:09 PM)handi Wrote: I have found that dowels bought at the store tend to be very soft even though they are supposed to be birch.

White birch not so good in the plank, but as dowels, golf tees and popsicle sticks serves just fine.  Yellow birches are what we normally see as lumber.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I think I am going to cut the existing broken dowel off flush, then drill a new 7mm (or whatever is >< thismuch smaller than 1/4",) thread it onto a cutoff 1/4 bolt and put that in my morse taper drill chuck. then I will just use light cuts to finish it. I like the concept of inside out turning because it's one of those things where people can't figure out how you did it. I've been carrying around an idea for a bud vase that I want to try.