black walnut log
I just picked up a black walnut log that was cut down 2 days ago.  Its 24” dia. And 9’ – 4” long.  I am sort of new to turning.  I am going to air dry it so do I peel off the bark or just seal ends?

thanks for your time,
Peter
(12-27-2017, 10:33 PM)peter-m Wrote: I just picked up a black walnut log that was cut down 2 days ago.  Its 24” dia. And 9’ – 4” long.  I am sort of new to turning.  I am going to air dry it so do I peel off the bark or just seal ends?

thanks for your time,
Peter

seal the ends asap. should have been sealed right away. if you have the space, leave it as a log , cut off what you want and reseal
oh! welcome the the forum
Cool
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(12-27-2017, 10:33 PM)peter-m Wrote: I just picked up a black walnut log that was cut down 2 days ago.  Its 24” dia. And 9’ – 4” long.  I am sort of new to turning.  I am going to air dry it so do I peel off the bark or just seal ends?

thanks for your time,
Peter

Lucky duck.  Start here, be careful, and enjoy.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3s6aN9REIY

Rough turn your blanks, re-covering the fresh end each time you harvest.  Plastic bag will do.  Keep your log out of the sun and off the ground.  Get 'er done before midsummer for best result.  Sapwood attracts critters and the bark loosens as time goes by, so do any bark up, sapwood included early for best brightest white.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Not being patient enough to wait for years for it to dry I would resaw it and sticker it.

I mostly just do segmented turning so I would turn most of it into boards. You can also cut it into turning blocks and it will dry faster.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
What everyone said here is good.

If you seal the ends but you want to try it cut off one end and turn it and let it and what MMouse said to.

Welcome to the forum and this is the place where I learned almost everything I do and hope you do as well.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-28-2017, 12:01 PM)SteveS Wrote: Not being patient enough to wait for years for it to dry I would resaw it and sticker it.

I mostly just do segmented turning so I would turn most of it into boards. You can also cut it into turning blocks and it will dry faster.

Takes weeks, not "years" to dry a rough-turned bowl around 3/4 to an inch thick.  We non-segmented types do it all the time.  Turn / Dry / Turn is the way it goes.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
A 24" diameter 9' long log is a lot of walnut. I'll say that it makes beautiful bowls and is a pleasure to turn, but wear a mask. It's one of the few varieties of wood I've turned that I react to.

thanks for your time,
Peter

You Lucky Duck.... I would have a ball with that log. Do as your first responder said, seal the ends. When you can "process" the wood, do so and whatever you can not process, reseal the remainder.

To "process", slice off what you can manage (depending on your lathe and chainsaw ability) and dice up the wood into either bowl, platter, or box blanks. If you can not use the blanks quickly... then seal those up too. Turning wet wood is fun and their are tons of videos, about what to do.

Enjoy.
Big Grin