Performax Supermax 37x2 HD drum sander thoughts
I am looking at a 6 year old Performax Supermax 37x2 HD dual drum sander tomorrow. My intentions are to purchase it if it’s as nice as described. I believe this machine was right before the stand alone Supermax guys started up but I could be wrong. This machine has the black 2 port DC hood. Not the silver and not the Supermax only 3 port hood currently offered. The new version is $5200. The machine I’m looking at is $2500 best price. It comes from a hobby shop with less than 100 hours on it. It has the optional casters but no outfeed tables. It is a USA made dual post machine with a 5 HP Lesson motor.

My intentions were to buy the new 19/38 for $1400 to my door until this opportunity came up. I don’t see many used DS around that I’d want to own given the fussiness many have reputations for. The dual post “should” eliminate most of that and any potential center witness line that some single arm sanders struggle with. I don’t do many large projects but I have done some and will do more table tops and such in the future. I don’t earn my living with my tools. I do have the space. I am thinking the extra $1100 is well spent in the long run? Any thoughts?

(12-28-2017, 12:33 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: I am looking at a 6 year old Performax Supermax 37x2 HD dual drum sander tomorrow.  My intentions are to purchase it if it’s as nice as described.  I believe this machine was right before the stand alone Supermax guys started up but I could be wrong.  This machine has the black 2 port DC hood.  Not the silver and not the Supermax only 3 port hood currently offered.  The new version is $5200.  The machine I’m looking at is $2500 best price.  It comes from a hobby shop with less than 100 hours on it.  It has the optional casters but no outfeed tables.  It is a USA made dual post machine with a 5 HP Lesson motor.

My intentions were to buy the new 19/38 for $1400 to my door until this opportunity came up.  I don’t see many used DS around that I’d want to own given the fussiness many have reputations for.  The dual post “should” eliminate most of that and any potential center witness line that some single arm sanders struggle with.  I don’t do many large projects but I have done some and will do more table tops and such in the future.  I don’t earn my living with my tools.  I do have the space.  I am thinking the extra $1100 is well spent in the long run?  Any thoughts?

not many thoughts on this but I did notice two used 19/38's for sale on my local Craigslist.  $950 for one which comes with castors and tables and $1200 for the other which seemed to have the same upgrades.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I recently picked up a like new Performax 22-44. But would gladly have jumped on that 37/2 if the opportunity had presented itself.
Wood is good. 
Any other opinions?