Too many windows???
May I suggest keeping the 2 longer end windows (double hung) and instead of using 7 of the smaller long windows in the middle, use a square (22 x 22) awning-type window in positions 2, 4, and 6 of the small window layout.  You will maintain some wall space on the interior while letting in light.
(12-28-2017, 02:53 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: dN[Image: 8niLIm0.jpg]

This is a sketchup view of my proposed shop's South wall.  Wall shown is 48' long, end walls are 32'.  12' ceiling.  

Seven small windows (in blue) are 22"x 64", two on ends are 32" x 72".  Sills are 42" above the floor.  North wall has 5 small windows and one 60"x 66" big window. (All windows are double insulated) 

Yeah, I like light.
Wink

Do you think I'm giving up too  much wall (shelf) space for the windows?

Nothin' wrong with a lot of natural light.
But, a couple of comments.  
1: I would want at least 50" from the bottom of the windows, (and electical boxes) to the floor.  May want to place a workbench, tool box, or 48" wide (tall) material there.
2: Skylights would be preferable for me as they provide lots of light and leave the wall available for storage racks, cabinets etc.
It's too many for me. I like the light and views as well, but the wall space is really important in a shop. My current one is 32x50 and I had 2 windows put in so I'd have the wall space. That said....it's your shop, and your rules. It's a tough decision, but I went with walls.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Use horizontal windows high in the wall. I know that means more headers, but that gets you the light and the wall space---and no regrets later.
I have just three windows in my bench area and I started hanging tools over the top of them.  

[Image: workbench%20and%20backbench1.jpg]
WoodNET... the new safespace
Guess I should have mentioned I've had the window glass ( 22"x 64" and 32"x 72" double pane) for years waiting to build my shop.
Cool 

But the idea of raising them above 48" is a good one.  I'll change the drawing and see what it looks like.

I also have a couple of rolling tool racks that I can move to where I'm working but we'll see how things develop as I get moved in.

Now if I can just get the weather to ease up and my contractor to find some time
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(12-28-2017, 02:53 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: [Image: 8niLIm0.jpg]

This is a sketchup view of my proposed shop's South wall.  Wall shown is 48' long, end walls are 32'.  12' ceiling.  

Seven small windows (in blue) are 22"x 64", two on ends are 32" x 72".  Sills are 42" above the floor.  North wall has 5 small windows and one 60"x 66" big window. (All windows are double insulated) 

Yeah, I like light.
Wink

Do you think I'm giving up too  much wall (shelf) space for the windows?

I would consider skylights before taking that much wall space.  The gym at our church have several and we don't use lights at all during the day.  

While I like windows I like wall space more.  I covered the only one I had.   Once i am in my shop and working I don't realize I don't have windows - lots of overhead lighting for me.  Just my opinion.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
When we were designing the new shop, I talked over the subject of natural light with my GUY, and he offered a great solution already mentioned here.  Long horizontal windows mounted high.  My shop is climate controlled so I never open them, the system is low cost and very effective.  As you can see in this "during construction" pic, they are something like 2 x 3 and about 8' off the floor.  Plenty of wall space between them on all three walls.  The front wall has the garage door and walk in "man" door.

As you can see, the high windows work well with the installed lights, allow plenty of use of wall space, and with the lights off on bright days, there is plenty of light for all but the most detailed work.

Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
It's your shop and you are aware of the issues. Build it the way you want it. If it were mine, I'd have one large window in my bench area flanked by smaller ones, leaving some wall space for tool cabinets and essential storage on either side of the bench. I've always dreamed of having my bench in front of a large window overlooking a flood plain - or any other kind of plane.
(12-29-2017, 07:18 AM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Use horizontal windows high in the wall. I know that means more headers, but that gets you the light and the wall space---and no regrets later.

^^^This. 

If it is about light (and not a view) then overhead big horizontal windows would be awesome with your 12" ceiling height.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure