Too many windows???
not yet mentioned-it's harder for thieves to get in and out with higher windows-and, if they can't see in, they might not even try to get in.
A few years ago, a friend of mine, caught a couple guys trying to get his tablesaw, over his back fence, after they  got it through  a window........
just a thought....
(12-29-2017, 03:58 PM)rlnguy Wrote: not yet mentioned-it's harder for thieves to get in and out with higher windows-and, if they can't see in, they might not even try to get in.
A few years ago, a friend of mine, caught a couple guys trying to get his tablesaw, over his back fence, after they  got it through  a window........
just a thought....

This is the exact reason that we don't have windows in the garage doors... and the man door has interior blinds between the two panes. I didn't want prowlers to be able to look in thru the windows and see what the shop contains.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
You mentioned that the windows face South.  Just be aware that the sun will shine directly into the windows for most of the year. Now some people think that is a plus but that means anytime you work facing this wall, you will be facing into a harsher, more direct light from windows facing any other direction.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
i love me some natural daylight in the shop. im wondering how it would work if ya doubled up the window width and had half as many would work. seems that would give good walspace between the windows and good daylight.
or if these windows are just the glass, turn them sideways and put em up a little higher maybe?
and dont forget- in the event ya dont have wallspace to hang stuff and no where to put it, the TOM foundation, a non profit organization helping people named Tom in my shop better their woodworking skills- is still taking donations.
Big Grin
Turning the windows sideways would add about $600 labor and materials to the cost.
No

I'm aware of the glare problem -- if it's too much I can easily put diffusers  or shades on the offending windows
Cool

Most of my work is on a bench away from the walls and I have rolling tool racks to keep things in easy reach.

I will raise the windows as suggested.

Thanks for all the opinions!
Cool
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(12-31-2017, 01:22 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Turning the windows sideways would add about $600 labor and materials to the cost.
No

I'm aware of the glare problem -- if it's too much I can easily put diffusers  or shades on the offending windows
Cool

Most of my work is on a bench away from the walls and I have rolling tool racks to keep things in easy reach.

I will raise the windows as suggested.

Thanks for all the opinions!
Cool

I have to ask how much all that glass might add to the cost of keeping your shop cool or warm.  How likely it will get broken into and can you afford to lose all that storage space?  I would worry about placement of tools that are prone to launching objects also.  Looks like too much glass I would have trouble using for an exit if needed.  Also would you be installing shades?
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(12-31-2017, 09:46 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I have to ask how much all that glass might add to the cost of keeping your shop cool or warm.  How likely it will get broken into and can you afford to lose all that storage space?  I would worry about placement of tools that are prone to launching objects also.  Looks like too much glass I would have trouble using for an exit if needed.  Also would you be installing shades?

All the glass is double pane and the smaller ones I will be using two layers with 4 inches of dead air between so heat loss should be minimal.  Shades will be used as needed; I've got some trees that will do their part.  My part of KY is also a fairly moderate climate 
Big Grin

Most tools will be in middle of room away from windows or against the end wall which has no windows.

There's two roll-up doors and a 4' entry door for egress if needed.
Laugh

Plus the bigger windows are tempered -- wouldn't take much to get through them.
Cool

Site is out in the country and 600 feet off the road on the back side of a hill but I will be installing an alarm system.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I just had a friend out for a visit who specializes in window treatments, and even with my windows as high as they are, the windows on the right side blind me for an hour at the work table in the morning, and those at the back of the shop for an hour in the late afternoon... during transition periods.  He will look into blind options for me. 
Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(12-31-2017, 10:39 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: All the glass is double pane and the smaller ones I will be using two layers with 4 inches of dead air between so heat loss should be minimal.  Shades will be used as needed; I've got some trees that will do their part.  My part of KY is also a fairly moderate climate 
Big Grin

Most tools will be in middle of room away from windows or against the end wall which has no windows.

There's two roll-up doors and a 4' entry door for egress if needed.
Laugh

Plus the bigger windows are tempered -- wouldn't take much to get through them.
Cool

Site is out in the country and 600 feet off the road on the back side of a hill but I will be installing an alarm system.

Sounds like you have it covered.  My places in SF are such I boarded up the windows in the 80's.  The one has one sliding door the other has a roll up at one end and a barred door at the other end.  My house shop has a single 4' wide door and I am looking into placing windows for natural lighting and egress.  I might be getting security cameras as things are getting a bit more wild since felonies went from the $5k threshold to $15K thanks to Moonbeam
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(12-31-2017, 11:32 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I just had a friend out for a visit who specializes in window treatments, and even with my windows as high as they are, the windows on the right side blind me for an hour at the work table in the morning, and those at the back of the shop for an hour in the late afternoon... during transition periods.  He will look into blind options for me. 
Smirk

My previous shop had two sunward facing picture windows... 4' wide x 7' tall.  I hung roll down bamboo blinds on them.  They held up great in the shop environment and looked "woody" enough to fit in.
WoodNET... the new safespace