I discovered something
not to hijack your thread but I discovered something similar yesterday doing the second turning on that inside-out turned flower I made. If you want to develop a light touch, do a lot of those flowers. turning the open end is scary.
(12-30-2017, 02:57 PM)daddo Wrote: So what's the plan to prevent that on the next one?

I think one mistake was that 16 segments with 6 degree gaps in rings that were almost 2" tall just made them too fragile. Too much bending in the glue line. I'm trying another test piece where the open rings are 6 segments with 10 degree gaps. This should leave a lot more overlap for gluing structure. I'll try it as soon as I receive a Seg-Easy style assembly plate for that spacing.

The other mistake was my less than subtle gouge control. The will just take more practice on fragile parts. i.e. more firewood.

I've heard it said that your first hundred pieces are ALL firewood. After that, only half of them are. Looks like I have a ways to go.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
(12-29-2017, 07:34 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: You could turn the 2 halves into pedestals for a platter or shallow bowl

Nicely done Dusty.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
An update. Six segments with 10 degree gaps turned out to be much more solid and I got the shape I needed. I also used the steady rest to hollow out the end two rings. I think I'm ready to start on the real piece now. I didn't bother to dye this one because I know that dipping technique works.

The real piece will have a 15" dia. ball shape below the neck where the chuck is now, but I've done that part before, too.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks good,glad you made a second attempt.Looking forward to the real thing,although there is nothing wrong with that piece.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(01-04-2018, 09:17 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: An update.  Six segments with 10 degree gaps turned out to be much more solid and I got the shape I needed.  I also used the steady rest to hollow out the end two rings.  I think I'm ready to start on the real piece now.  I didn't bother to dye this one because I know that dipping technique works.

The real piece will have a 15" dia. ball shape below the neck where the chuck is now, but I've done that part before, too.

What glue did you use for the segments? I am looking at doing some myself.
Thanks,
Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
(01-07-2018, 05:14 PM)scpapa Wrote: What glue did you use for the segments? I am looking at doing some myself.
Thanks,
Rick

For walnut, I use Titebond II Dark. For light wood, I use Titebond Original. For my bright red maple pieces, I use Titebond Original with red dye mixed in with it.
(01-07-2018, 07:48 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: For walnut, I use Titebond II Dark. For light wood, I use Titebond Original.  For my bright red maple pieces, I use Titebond Original with red dye mixed in with it.

Thanks, I use Titebond III for most applications, so I will for this.

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
(01-07-2018, 08:56 PM)scpapa Wrote: Thanks, I use Titebond III for most applications, so I will for this.

Rick

I felt that III didn't dry as hard as Original and would permit segments to creep and make the otherwise smooth joints detectable to the fingernail.

Your mileage may vary, of course.
(01-07-2018, 09:02 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: I felt that III didn't dry as hard as Original and would permit segments to creep and make the otherwise smooth joints detectable to the fingernail.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

I've had glue creep with TB I & II as well over the years.
Cellulose runs through my veins!