Natural fiber brush for poly
What's your favorite brush for varnish or poly. I'm considering a natural bristle brush, ox hair or badger hair. I want a brush that does a great job but also one that retains its shape and function after cleaning. (assuming a proper cleaning and storing of course). If they last. price is not a real factor. Thinking about 2".

I usually use a pad. cheesecloth wrapped in cotton material. Works great but coats are thin sometimes and require quite a few for a deeper film. I also spray. Not really asking what is best technique. Just want to know a good natural fiber brush. Brand or place to buy would also be helpful.

Thanks,

Mike
I've been suing Redtree brushes for probably 20 years now...good long life (when cleaned properly) and easy to find at Jamsetown Distributors. Bear in mind they aren't really badger hair, but they are really good brushes. If you're hankering to spend more money, check out the European ox hair brushes.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If you consider manufacturer's advice, natural bristles are not optimal for poly. Good, very good for shellac. Don't ask me why, someone else would know the specific reasons.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-31-2017, 03:22 PM)Admiral Wrote: If you consider manufacturer's advice, natural bristles are not optimal for poly.  Good, very good for shellac.  Don't ask me why, someone else would know the specific reasons.

what poly can did you read that off of?  The oil based polys and varnishes I've used,  all called for natural bristle brushes.  The water based ones called for poly bristle brushes.  Then I skip the brushes and use a rag and rub it on.  Neither say anything about that.
I always use a natural bristle brush for oil based finishes and varnish, while poly or artificial bristles for water based finishes, like Admiral said above. I read somewhere that the reason for the difference is that natural bristles absorb the water in water based finishes and expand, and get soft, and do not lay the product down very well. Not sure if this is the whole reason, but I have always stuck to the axiom I laid out, and never had a problem
Ed
I use foam brushes.  They don't last very long for the oil based stuff, but do OK with the water based stuff.  I can get a very smooth finish with the foam brushes.

The only economical place to buy foam brushes is Harbor Freight.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I use mostly oil finishes. I think I am going to get ox hair. One for oil one for shellac. I'll see how it goes from there to see if I need more.
If you dedicate one to shellac use, there's no need to "clean" it. Just let it dry, the nest time you need it suspend it in a jar of alcohol (or the shellac you will be using, and it will soften up ready for use within 15 minutes or so. For the one used with varnish, search the 3 jar cleaning method (if you aren't familiar with it).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.