1750 Antique Cape
We purchased our forever home in June of this year. It is an antique cape built in 1750 in a town south of Boston.

Out first project is to remodel the dining room - keeping the antique cape charm. The room is wallpapered. I started a video of the process from stripping the wallpaper to repairing the walls. There will be new videos in the series with how to’s and product reviews.

Please take a look - like and comment.

Thanks

https://youtu.be/cr68w_PFn8Q
PJ
Plympton, MA
Wow, that's certainly antique!

It looks like the house is in great shape!
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

It is in good shape. The prior owners lovingly cared for the property.
Most of the interior work is cosmetic. It is my first foray with horse hair plaster so the repairs are a learning experience.

When spring comes I will cover the exterior where there is a bit more work - antique windows to repair.

Thank you for the comments and please check my channel for updates.

PJ
PJ
Plympton, MA
Why are you using a razor blade type scraper to remove the wall paper?  I ask because I have never seen it done with that tool???  Usually a 6" or 4" taping knife is the go to tool. I would think it could dig in easily.

Al

BTW...good luck! A labor of love!!! Cool room, love the fireplace.
I turn, therefore I am!
Al

Great question...either one works.
I found the trick is the angle of the blade. The walls were left with few if any gouges from the scraper. The blade is not fresh so it is lacking the super sharp edge. The other reason - my wife was using the plaster knife on one of the other walls,
When I remove wallpaper from a Sheetrock/Bluebeard wall, I use a 4” or 6” plaster knife.

FYI - there are 5 fireplaces in the house. The one in the living room has a beehive oven ... very cool!
PJ
Plympton, MA
You're brave buying a house that old. My experience with old houses is a few family members buying them and every single one had problems.
I've had more problems with new construction than old. I think time has ironed out most of the issues in old construction.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Oh we have had some problems ... most known/discovered during the purchase process and some surprises.
The worst one so far was the well pump that was incorrectly wired for an auxiliary generator plug. The result was a melted pressure switch, which would have had a very bad outcome had we not been paying attention. 
I am sure we will find some more along the way. 

The best part is that everyday we find something new to us in the home or wind up with something that we didn't expect. Example: A tree we had to take down - Cherry. I have some great bowl and pen blanks, as do one of my turner friends.

New tools/toys - Massey Ferguson Loader/Backhoe

All in all life is good.

If time allows, please check out the latest episode on youtube on repairing the cracked plaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xcbTk5mq3A
PJ
Plympton, MA
The 4th episode of the Dining Room makeover is posted on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RSoby0Aoog

I am using a great product called "plaster magic" ... There is no sponsorship for my use. I found it via some online research and so far I have been very impressed with the results.

If time allows take a look and add it to your recipe list for home repairs.

Thanks,
PJ
Plympton, MA
(01-20-2018, 11:21 PM)pjohnson Wrote: The 4th episode of the Dining Room makeover is posted on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RSoby0Aoog

I am using a great product called "plaster magic" ... There is no sponsorship for my use. I found it via some online research and so far I have been very impressed with the results.

If time allows take a look and add it to your recipe list for home repairs.

Thanks,

Interesting process, but time consuming!  Beats tearing down the plaster if it works well.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!