Brain Trust - advice needed!

I have a bed post that needs to be repaired.  The post has a metal insert that is threaded inside and out, and it has stripped out of the wood post.  I thought about gluing a dowel into the stripped out cavity and re-drilling for the insert, then epoxying same, but am afraid I would not be able to make it straight which would make the 5' long post appear like the leaning tower of Pisa.  Any good ideas?  Pic hopefully show the dilemma.
How stripped out? Do the threads hold at all?

My first thought was gluing in tooth picks, but if not stripped out much, Teflon tape wrapped around the metal might take up enough of the play.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

If really stripped out, wrap in thicker tape like duct tape.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Big Grin 
(01-01-2018, 07:17 PM)TFM Wrote: I have a bed post that needs to be repaired.  The post has a metal insert that is threaded inside and out, and it has stripped out of the wood post.  I thought about gluing a dowel into the stripped out cavity and re-drilling for the insert, then epoxying same, but am afraid I would not be able to make it straight which would make the 5' long post appear like the leaning tower of Pisa.  Any good ideas?  Pic hopefully show the dilemma.

Could you use a slower setting epoxy and assemble it propping up the 5' section to plumb.   I would coat the threaded parts that need to come apart later with Vaseline to prevent those threads from being glued together.
 Now what were you doing to wear it out
Big Grin    Roly
(01-01-2018, 07:17 PM)TFM Wrote: I have a bed post that needs to be repaired.  The post has a metal insert that is threaded inside and out, and it has stripped out of the wood post.  I thought about gluing a dowel into the stripped out cavity and re-drilling for the insert, then epoxying same, but am afraid I would not be able to make it straight which would make the 5' long post appear like the leaning tower of Pisa.  Any good ideas?  Pic hopefully show the dilemma.
I would remove the steel insert and wire brush it ..Screw it back on the post, then apply a generous amount of JB Weld to the wood hole and the insert, install it and line it up with the other posts and secure it in place for 24 hours.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I would drill out the hole and fill it with a dowel. Then I would use the machine marks to mark the center and redrill it. You are correct that it will not be easy. You can make the upright adjustments when it goes back together.

As for the future--my guess is that the post was used for support and that is what wallowed out the screw. Unfortunately this post is not made to be used that way. But you can, and should, purchase one of those assist poles that adjusts to the ceiling height with an internal screw system. I use one of those beside my bed and it is real handy. Here is a link to one:
Assist pole
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I knew I came to the right place!  Excellent advice guys, thank you!

Eaten, I like your idea of perhaps using toothpicks.  It is pretty stripped out, perhaps thinner wooden match sticks might work  better, I'll check.  I'm thinking of taking Timberwolfs and Rolys advice and apply vasoline to the male thread and inside threaded bushing, screw the bushing onto the male threaded rod and then lay down a piece of wax paper around the male threaded rod, then applying JB weld to the female stripped out wooden post and lowering the post onto the prepared metal thread/bushing.  My main concern here is that the JB weld might seep and glue the post to the bed frame permanently - can't have that.  Hopefully the vasoline and wax paper will prevent that from happening. 

Jim Reed, the post is a decorative post for a 4 post bed, so it is not weight bearing.

And Roly, in answer to your question, 'All I could!!!'.

Tim