Computer???
When things go bad they go bad. Have a computer ??? I am running an old outdated system on my computer Windows XP64. It is no longer supported. It is starting to do wonky things. So I was thinking of upgrading to Windows 10. If i understand that is the latest. I hear some bad things about it but would this be the system to go to?? How hard is it to do this?? What needs to be done?? Will I lose everything that is on my computer now like all the programs that I have such as Photo software as Picture it microsoft word and things like this?? Will I lose all my favorites bookmarked and all icons on my desktop?? I am using Chrome if that matters. 

I know nothing about computers so if something goes wrong I have no idea what to do next. If I were to have this done in a shop about what would it cost?? Is there a down side to doing this?? I am afraid when I get a new printer that my old system will not recognize the drivers and I will have problems installing. 

Any thoughts??? Thanks
John T.
There are many many variables to the cost of having a shop do the upgrade. They will charge at minimum 1 hr labor plus the cost of the license. I don't think Windows 10 is a free upgrade any more. they also most likely won't guarantee to save all your data. I wouldn't let a shop touch my computer with my data on it. If I were going to go the upgrade route I'd pull the hard drive, bring them the computer with no drive and have them sell me a new, faster drive and put Windows 10 on that. That way I know its a fresh install and I can copy the data off the old one. that being said, If your computer is old enough to run Windows XP, I'd strongly consider upgrading the computer itself to one that already has Windows 10 on it. the cost of a shop doing it plus the cost of the license is likely going to come close to the cost of a new one.
I have a laptop (Dell), and it is pretty good. 

But then I got a IPad Pro and an external key pad.  It talks wirelessly with my printer, and I can type with the external keyboard quite well.  The banking app is easier to use than the bank's own website.

I carry it with me almost everywhere.  I read books on it and listen to music.  I can watch TV if there is a good Internet WiFi connection.

The net result is that I have not turned on my laptop in months.  

It has a very good camera, and it displays images impressively.  I would rather lose the lap top than the IPad.

The IPad 10" is about $400.00.  The IPad Pro, which I got because it has a better camera, is about $200.00 more.  You'll want a case and that will cost about $50.00.  The external keyboard (Logitech) was $40.00.

I have a fabulous pair of wired earbuds (1More, triple driver) that cost $99.00.  I almost never use the over the ear headphones anymore.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
In the Mac world, you can migrate an older system to a new computer/system, and it works perfectly. I have to think there is something similar in the Windows world.

Oh, wait...you just want to upgrade the operating system?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-02-2018, 11:30 AM)crokett™ Wrote: There are many many variables to the cost of having a shop do the upgrade. They will charge at minimum 1 hr labor plus the cost of the license.  I don't think Windows 10 is a free upgrade any more.   they also most likely won't guarantee to save all your data.   I wouldn't let a shop touch my computer with my data on it.  If I were going to go the upgrade route I'd pull the hard drive, bring them the computer with no drive and have them sell me a new, faster drive and put Windows 10 on that.  That way I know its a fresh install and I can copy the data off the old one.  that being said, If your computer is old enough to run Windows XP, I'd strongly consider upgrading the computer itself to one that already has Windows 10 on it.  the cost of a shop doing it plus the cost of the license is likely going to come close to the cost of a new one.

Agreed to buy a new one.   Were there 64 bit XP computers ?    The old main processor on my XP was not new enough to run windows 10.    I copied my old data to a thumb drive and transferred it to the new that way.  Roly
(01-02-2018, 12:57 PM)fredhargis Wrote: In the Mac world, you can migrate an older system to a new computer/system, and it works perfectly. I have to think there is something similar in the Windows world.

Oh, wait...you just want to upgrade the operating system?

he wants to upgrade the OS.  I'm not sure that's the smartest thing to do. 

There are similar things in the Windows world to migrate data, none are as seamless as Mac migration.
Talked to the Geek squad today and they basically said I should upgrade to a new computer. Things are too old and more problems to try to match up. He also said I should have no problem marrying a copier to the old computer so I will try that first and put off the computer upgrade if it works. If not will buy new. I need my copier.
John T.
I don't know what negative things you've heard about Win10, but for the most part it's better than XP.  Some search functions aren't as easy to access, but if you know nothing about computers that probably isn't very important to you anyway.  Win10 seems a more stable than XP, and that was a pretty stable system.  I don't ever recall having the dreaded blue screen of death with Win10.  

John
Pound a crowbar in your wallet & pry enough cash loose to buy a real computer.
Buy a Dell. I've had Dell's for over 20 years, have yet to have one fail on it's own.
I think the Geek Squad has given you good advice. However, if you want to confirm it, you can go to the Microsoft website and run a program they have (free) that will analyze your computer to see if it is capable of running Win10. I strongly suspect that, from what you have said, it will not. However, even if it does, performance will probably not be great.

If you don't want to totally give up on your computer, there are versions of Linux that will run on it nicely. The Geek Squad may be able to help you here as well. If not, I'm sure there are other computer repair shops around that can. Or, do a little research and learn to do it yourself. It's not real difficult. Running a version of Linux will give you far more security from malware than continuing to use XP. And there are many applications to use with it that work just as well as Windows apps. Many get loaded with the OS.

A personal note: I liked XP and I don't like Win10. From a user look and feel standpoint, I think most any Linux version will be more like XP than Win10.

If you are inclined to make a switch to Linux, I'll be glad to address your more specific questions in your OP. Such as: yes, you will be able to continue using Chrome. and you will be able to transfer your bookmarks. Firefox and other familiar web browsers also work in Linux. Some of the other issues are not quite as simple, but doable.