Computer???
(01-02-2018, 03:28 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Talked to the Geek squad today and they basically said I should upgrade to a new computer. Things are too old and more problems to try to match up. He also said I should have no problem marrying a copier to the old computer so I will try that first and put off the computer upgrade if it works. If not will buy new. I need my copier.

If you are thinking about new, think about Apple.  I've had a Mac desktop for over 9 years now, all I've done to it is add some RAM; open slot, plug in, done.  It gets a little slow at times but still runs like a top with MS office software too $149 for PC or Mac version (which you have to buy anyway), but unless you need Windows based software that does not exist for Mac iOS, consider Apple.  A bit more expensive, but worth it, they just work, period, and come with a full set of software.  I just dropped $1k on a Macbook Air and its a great machine and I expect it to be alive and well in a decade, with no downtime.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have my old xp notebook in the shop to make it look like I'm high tech.
Like other said, buy a new computer.  Like Herb said, buy the Dell. 

My brother is a real estate agent and throws his Dells in and out of the truck constantly.  I did my share of travel, banging my Dells around in my luggage.  Even had one tumble around on the road, inside my backpack, when my bike slapped the side of a pickup.

However, to be fair, I have seen a few failures.  We have ~800 at my shop.  There are bound to be some issues, but still overall a good machine.

While there are many horror stories about the Geek Squad telling the customer what they need to, to get the customer to spend more money, this time they are right.  Windows 10 may or may not run on your current PC, and even if it does, it may cost you as much in labor as a new laptop.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I had the guy show me some computers and there was a nice Dell machine there about half the size of my old tower. He said being I have a fairly new monitor and wireless keypad and mouse those are items I do not need. So I do not have to buy a complete package. This guy was very knowledgeable and as I mentioned he knew he was not getting a sale and i was there to pick his brain he talked to me for about 45 minutes. I thought that was cool. First thing is buy the printer and see if it is compatable to my system and according to him any of them will be. Thanks everyone.
John T.
(01-02-2018, 11:36 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: I had the guy show me some computers and there was a nice Dell machine there about half the size of my old tower. He said being I have a fairly new monitor and wireless keypad and mouse those are items I do not need. So I do not have to buy a complete package. This guy was very knowledgeable and as I mentioned he knew he was not getting a sale and i was there to pick his brain he talked to me for about 45 minutes. I thought that was cool. First thing is buy the printer and see if it is compatable to my system and according to him any of them will be. Thanks everyone.

I would strongly recommend a full upgrade with a new tower and printer too. When looking at a new CPU I would suggest upgrading to a solid state hard drive, they are MUCH faster. With the printer, look for what the ink costs rather than just the price of the hardware. There are some fairly cheep printers that the ink will make you take out a second mortgage.  Also I do a lot of CAD work an as such I have a large format printer for printing out larger (blue) prints, so if you work from your own prints, you might give that some consideration.
It's not always the quiet ones who don't have much to say.
I too look at printer cartridge prices to help decide on a printer. I had a 50 dollar printer once that took 60 bucks in cartridges that didn't last long.
You need to either get a new computer capable of running a newer version of Windows or you need to upgrade to Windows 7 or 10 on the computer you have. A serious vulnerability was announced yesterday. Windows XP will not be patched. Microsoft will patch Windows 7 and later versions.