When is Camellia oil not Camellia oil?
(01-02-2018, 09:50 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...........
Any light oil will do what Camelia oil claims to do..In fact, full synthetic engine oil will do it even better..For long term storage, I use RIG...it's like a light grease made specifically for firearms...A light application of petroleum jelly will work also.
Hello Jack;

There's an old jar of petroleum jelly in the shop I wasn't using... last time I ran out of the oil I was using, I started on the pet. jelly... been using it ever since.... wood bodied planes, blades, metal bodied planes.. it's all good. Whatever oil is laying around is good to clean tools after use...
Skip

Been using the same thing I use on the stones.....3in1 oil.    A few drops, then spread it around on all the bare metal with a shop rag.

Haven't made the "Rag-in-a-can"  like Sellers uses...yet.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Thanks to all who responded.

Shortly after my original post I sent a message to the Amazon seller.  I pointed out that other websites sell the exact same product and label it a Camellia oil blend that includes liquid paraffin.

Today they responded:

>Quote:

Message from 3rd party seller:
Hi,
As you say, paraffin is blended but I do not know its proportion.
There is no percentage stated in MSDS.
Thanks.

>End Quote

So I'll experiment with this blend on a few chisels that get little use living most of their life in the drawer.  I'll check them every few months and see if they've become sticky and gummy.   

But for now, my primary blade treatment will remain Paul Sellers' rag-in-a-can with 3in1 oil.

[Image: 25616280978_f55a5da8dc_b.jpg]
Mike
MSDS on Japan Woodworker site

Matt
(01-03-2018, 11:33 PM)mdhills Wrote: MSDS on Japan Woodworker site

Matt
The plot thickens!   The product they sell appears to be the same exact brand that I bought from Amazon (only Japan Woodworker's is in a smaller container) yet their MSDS says the product is 100% Camellia oil.

Strange 
Confused

Mike
I too have been using the rag in a can. Any kind of oil or penetrating fluid that's in reach, gets used.
Stays in a 3# coffee can with lid. Snagged that idea from hairy Swartz
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020