Chess board finished
Just gotta say......"WOW"

Smile
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
Nice job I was just looking at that magazine today and I will be making one come spring as I don’t have a heated shop. I hope the one I make turns out half as good as yours. :yes
Professional at making sawdust!!!!
Very nice. Well done.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Wow, that looks great. 

Is there a specific reason to have extra queens, or are the just for backup?
(02-02-2018, 04:10 PM)stav Wrote: Wow, that looks great. 

Is there a specific reason to have extra queens, or are the just for backup?

Promotion I would assume.  Otherwise you have to somehow mark the pawn that has been promoted with its new rank.  The very few times I've managed to reach the back rank with a pawn, I usually select Queen as its new rank, but bishop, knight and rook are also options.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promotion_(chess)
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Very nice. I made one from the exact same plans for my youngest son.

carl
Beautiful work.  I just made this one.  It has 2" walnut and maple squares, with 5/8" cherry surround and walnut corners.  It is about 1 1/4" thick.  It does not have a drawer.  Nothing as nice as yours, but I'm trying.

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-02-2018, 04:45 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Promotion I would assume.  Otherwise you have to somehow mark the pawn that has been promoted with its new rank.  The very few times I've managed to reach the back rank with a pawn, I usually select Queen as its new rank, but bishop, knight and rook are also options.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promotion_(chess)

I had never heard of that rule. Interesting.  Thanks