Latest Box
I put up a thread a couple months ago, asking if anyone had seen a piece of wood with what looked like stains from the bark before.  There were a few comments but...  I said I would make something from it.

I made a box for my daughter, and took my time to make it special.  I finger jointed mahogany to make the "box" and framed the walnut with the "dragon scales" in black walnut.  I made the interior tray from mahogany as well.  I wanted the tray to be a special accent.

Here is the box.

Open the box and you see the custom tray with a bottom made from mahogany, with knotty pine and purplewood bottom inlaid.

With the tray removed, you can see the flocked bottom.

Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I remember you posting a picture of that walnut. Look like you did it justice!
Beautiful box,Jim,you are gonna have one very happy daughter.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Very nice!  And a most unusual piece of "dragon scale".
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Indeed, your daughter will have a treasure, well done!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Oh my, that's purdy.

I've decided that small boxes are my favorite thing to build. Seeing others' work helps reinforce it!
Semper fi,
Brad

"APPLAUSE"
This is how the insert started out... for those that didn't see the original post asking about the unique look.

Wink

I figured out how much of the piece I wanted to try and save, filled in the deep cracks with CT Glue, layer by layer to stabilize the cracks... and limited the sanding for fear of losing that look. 
Yes
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I remember the original topic about this particular piece of wood and I really like what you did with a small piece of it.  Nice work.
Very Very nice.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe