I have a big problem and need advise
Maybe a 1/4-20 drop-in anchor would loosen it. This size anchor has a 3/8" outside diameter. Find one that has heavy knurling on the outside.

https://www.amazon.com/Drop-Anchor-No-Fl...+in+anchor

https://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/images/...582-23.jpg

Tighten the bolt slowly and turn the top of the anchor with pliers. The anchor might grip the inside of the collet enough to spin it loose.
I am not completely familiar with what you are saying, but, if you were able to drill and tap the center of the collet, you could put a washer on the end of the shaft and a large nut as a spacer and screw a bolt into the end of the collet. As you screw the bolt down it will pull the collet out.

The anchor could work also, but instead of "spinning it loose" by putting a washer and bolt on the end of the shaft and screwing into the anchor, it will pull the collet.
Another option would be to try and epoxy a dowel/rod to the collet sleeve itself. You would need to be careful to not epoxy everything into the router cylinder. In any case, it might give you enough of a grip on the collet sleeve to twist it out of the cylinder. You could also try and use some other type of adhesive like caulking, super glue, etc. This may prove to be a messy and not ideal solution but taking a $100 router to a service center doesn't make much sense to me.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
Since you said the collet is partially broken it may break the rest of the way.   A well placed center punch may break it into pieces.   Dado's idea of using grease may work enough to get it off the bottom to allow you to be able to hook it.   I also have used grease to force something out.   Roly
(01-04-2018, 08:42 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: He jammed the 3/8" collet all the way to the bottom of the shaft and put the 1/2" on top of it.  Now the 3/8" collet is partly broken off in the bottom and VERY stuck.  I tried lubes and stuff like that so how would you go about taking it out?

I thought about using my drumel with a diamond bit, but I do not want to score the inside.

Sounds similar to a mechanic's problem, removing a pilot bearing that is pushed too far into the flywheel.

Use bread.  Seriously, it works, I was skeptical too until I tried it.

Get a rod that is a slide fit into the collet, but basically fills the hole.  Stuff the hole with bread - store bought white bread seems to work best - and hammer on the rod to compress the bread.  Add more bread and repeat.  The bread will compress into a rubbery mass and the compression impact of hammering on the rod will force the collet out of the taper.

Another option is a bolt extractor.
(01-05-2018, 12:37 AM)Lynden Wrote: Maybe a 1/4-20 drop-in anchor would loosen it. This size anchor has a 3/8" outside diameter. Find one that has heavy knurling on the outside.

https://www.amazon.com/Drop-Anchor-No-Fl...+in+anchor

https://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/images/...582-23.jpg

Tighten the bolt slowly and turn the top of the anchor with pliers. The anchor might grip the inside of the collet enough to spin it loose.

(01-05-2018, 08:57 AM)Mike7759 Wrote: I am not completely familiar with what you are saying, but, if you were able to drill and tap the center of the collet, you could put a washer on the end of the shaft  and a large nut as a spacer and screw a bolt into the end of the collet. As you screw the bolt down it will pull the collet out.

The anchor could work also, but instead of "spinning it loose" by putting a washer and bolt on the end of the shaft and screwing into the anchor, it will pull the collet.

(01-05-2018, 02:11 PM)geek2me Wrote: Sounds similar to a mechanic's problem, removing a pilot bearing that is pushed too far into the flywheel.

Get a rod that is a slide fit into the collect, but basically fills the hole.  Stuff the hole with bread - store bought white bread seems to work best - and hammer on the rod to compress the bread.  Add more bread and repeat.  The bread will compress into a rubbery mass and the compression impact of hammering on the rod will force the collet out of the taper.

It seems all three of you have about the exact same thing and I will try it out, maybe first I will try a 1/4 bolt and once it gets to the bottom it will force the collet up and out.

Wonderful guys and for the link to the anchor also. 
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
i was thinking in the lines if a tap or easy out could get worked into the broken collet, then some vice grips on the end and some tappin action.
Just send it to me! I'll get the dang thing out even if I have to take the cutting torch to it!  It could cause serious damage, but I'm willing to take that chance.  
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
(01-05-2018, 02:11 PM)geek2me Wrote: Sounds similar to a mechanic's problem, removing a pilot bearing that is pushed too far into the flywheel.

Get a rod that is a slide fit into the collect, but basically fills the hole.  Stuff the hole with bread - store bought white bread seems to work best - and hammer on the rod to compress the bread.  Add more bread and repeat.  The bread will compress into a rubbery mass and the compression impact of hammering on the rod will force the collet out of the taper.

If the collett is "split", the "bread" will likely find it's way out through the slots..and you wont be able to generate any hydraulic force...I had thought about filling the collett with grease and using a tight fitting rod to act as a "piston" to force it out...until I remembered the slots..I'd try it anyway....And the bolt extractor works by expanding and rotating the bolt {or collett in this case} in the hole...This action may make it even tighter..But it's worth a try also.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Another reason not to lend tools is liability , people sue all the time. Clearly this guy didn’t know how to use that router. If he got hurt using it, you could easily be on the hook for his medical bills and more.
VH07V