Japanese plane lot
Hi all:

I acquired a lot of Japanese planes as part of a larger purchase.  I'm asking $225 + shipping for the lot.  Please note the grooving plane with moveable fence is missing the small wedge that locks the fence.  Should be fairly easy to fabricate.

You may have seen my post over in Hand Tools asking for info on the planes which was kindly answered by our WoodNet plane expert Wilbur Pan.  His commentary below.

From Wilbur:
Here's what you have.

The shorter one is a standard Japanese plane, which can be used as a smoother. The longer one is a Japanese jointer plane. Japanese smoothing planes come up pretty regularly on eBay. Jointer planes are rarer, and tend to go for more.

The good news is that these blades are pretty decent. The bad news is that whoever used to own these planes didn't do a great job of flattening the back. See the shiny areas at the left top area of the blades? It looks to me that someone got too aggressive with flattening the back, and went much further up the back of the blade than they needed to. This is a cosmetic defect, which will affect the selling price. In addition, the flat areas around the sides and cutting edge of the left plane blade are much wider than they need to be, which will make further work on the back more difficult.

From top to bottom:

1. A plane designed to plane a groove. This plane has a moveable fence.
2. A scraper plane used to condition the sole of the first two planes. Seems to be in decent shape.
3. A gotoku plane, or five-way plane. It's called a five-way plane because it can be used in 5 ways: as a smoother, as a left and right handed rabbet plane, and to plane the left and right sides of a groove. More info here: http://giantcypress.net/post/21708578799...-five-ways

These are more specialty planes. The Japanese scraper plane is fairly common. The other two are less common, but you also need to find someone who's interested in buying this sort of plane.

Thanks
David
(01-05-2018, 07:08 PM)matzner Wrote: Hi all:

I acquired a lot of Japanese planes as part of a larger purchase.  I'm asking $225 + shipping for the lot.  Please note the grooving plane with moveable fence is missing the small wedge that locks the fence.  Should be fairly easy to fabricate.
If I'm off on price, please make an offer.
(01-08-2018, 02:24 PM)matzner Wrote: If I'm off on price, please make an offer.

I think you should ask more for these!  The joiner was made by Ishihisa.  Googling "Ishihisa" and "joiner" the first hit I got was from the NC Woodworker listserv circa 2008.  The price then was $196 from Hida Tool.  Of course these prices fluctuate a bit with the value of the yen.  Hida Tool no longer carries these, but they're well thought of.  In fact, Wilbur talks the brand up on his web site, so I'm surprised he didn't recognize it.  You can confirm my identification in the Gallery/Kanna section of daikudojo.org.

In addition to the joiner, the scraper plane almost certainly would go for above $50 on ebay.  I know because I often look for them there, but am on a stringent economy plan when it comes to tool-buying, so I haven't bought one.

Aaron
Aaron
(01-09-2018, 07:58 PM)AaronR Wrote: I think you should ask more for these!  The joiner was made by Ishihisa.  Googling "Ishihisa" and "joiner" the first hit I got was from the NC Woodworker listserv circa 2008.  The price then was $196 from Hida Tool.  Of course these prices fluctuate a bit with the value of the yen.  Hida Tool no longer carries these, but they're well thought of.  In fact, Wilbur talks the brand up on his web site, so I'm surprised he didn't recognize it.  You can confirm my identification in the Gallery/Kanna section of daikudojo.org.

In addition to the joiner, the scraper plane almost certainly would go for above $50 on ebay.  I know because I often look for them there, but am on a stringent economy plan when it comes to tool-buying, so I haven't bought one.

Aaron

I should mention that I wasn't able to identify the smoother.  Taking a look at its chipbreaker and dai should offer hints as to its value.  If the chipbreaker is laminated then the plane probably retailed for more than $160.  Also, if there are a lot of rings visible in the dai (body), then it's probably a high-quality plane.
Aaron
(01-09-2018, 08:00 PM)AaronR Wrote: I should mention that I wasn't able to identify the smoother.  Taking a look at its chipbreaker and dai should offer hints as to its value.  If the chipbreaker is laminated then the plane probably retailed for more than $160.  Also, if there are a lot of rings visible in the dai (body), then it's probably a high-quality plane.
Aaron - thanks for the informative posts.
It doesn't feel right to me to raise the price after listing, but if someone wants to offer more, that's OK
Big Grin !  Apparently, I got a good deal on these as part of a larger lot and I'm willing to pass it on to the WoodNet community.  I'd also consider offers on the individual planes.
David
Feel free to make offers on the lot or individual planes. I'm also open to trade for a Veritas bevel-up bench plane +- cash.  

Thanks
David
(01-14-2018, 06:17 PM)matzner Wrote: Feel free to make offers on the lot or individual planes. I'm also open to trade for a Veritas bevel-up bench plane +- cash.  

Thanks
David

BTTT
Still available.
(02-07-2018, 11:52 AM)matzner Wrote: Still available.
PM Sent