Overhead Retractable Electrical Line
I'm redoing some electrical circuits in my shop and will also be adding some overhead 220v circuits for various machines, 4 or 5 total. Each circuit will have its own overhead box (8' ceiling, open joists) near the location of each machine. I'm wondering if there is any device made that will allow the flexible cord to hang down just low enough to catch with your hand and then pull it down to comfortable height to plug in the machine? Then to be retracted back up near the ceiling when not in use.

I'm not looking for one of those electrical reels, as they are typically 110v and include 20+ ft. of cord, which I don't need. They are also prohibitively priced for this application.

I hope I've described this adequately. If not, please ask questions.

Thanks,

Doug
I've got several 220v ceiling drops, but my machines are more or less stationary.  I assume you want to move mobile machines into the space and plug them in.  If your circuits are 220v 20amp, there's no reason you couldn't use good quality 12ga retractable cord reels mounted to the ceiling, with the correct 220v plug/outlets on the ends.  You could cut the length of the cord to match your needs.  If you need greater than 12ga cable for 30amps and more, I would just hang the cord to a level I could reach, and have cords on my machines long enough to reach up and plug them in.
Bob
I did a search on google for ceiling mount retractable cord and in addition to lots of cord reals, they have a device that looks like a heavier duty version of the key ring belt clip that keeps your keys on a leash.

Put the outlet in the ceiling, plug in a short patch cord and the parch cord is held up with the retraction device,

These are commonly used in lots of commercial applications the one i am most familiar with is in operating rooms for ceiling mounted gas hoses, just don't know what they are called.

Duke
Like this

Attached Files Image(s)

On mine, I did what BobW suggested. Just leave the ceiling end at a height you can reach with both hands, install a longer cord on the machine, and use twist-lock plugs to connect them. You will also need a strain relief connection at the overhead junction box. I used the mesh grip connectors in my shop and am very happy with them.
retractable hose lanyard?
What Duke said.  Retractable card holders may be strong enough to pull up a cord.  Office supply or Amazon will have these.  Granger will have heaver duty retractable reels.
[Image: 813wGx-Jo9L._SL1500_.jpg]

And here are a pile of retractable tool reels of various strengths in use - not a wood shop however.
[Image: BN-KA936_gdp_pl_J_20150827141956.jpg]
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
With the ceiling being only 8 ft, you could just loop it over a hook.  Either a big vinyl dipped utility hook like you'd hang a bicycle from by the wheels, or roll your own wooden or plastic or even metal rod.  12 gauge or heavier 3-conductor SO or SJO cord is pretty stiff in short lengths, so you should easily be able to make a loop and flop it over the hook.  No moving parts.  

I'd probably keep it short and use a long tool cord with twist-locks, but you could just as easily make the ceiling cord long, though you'd have to make multiple loops to hang on the hook.  If the ceiling cord is long, you probably don't need twist locks, either, as the tool cord won't be pulling much or at all.

Use proper strain reliefs, and if using the separate (from the box entry) 'chinese finger' type, use a rubber ferrule type box entry to seal out the dust.  You can get rubber ferrule entry fittings at the BORG (two different sizes of cord, so watch that), but you'd have to get mesh strain reliefs online (Amazon has a selection) or from a distributor (local sparky supply).  Use a top with a knockout if dropping straight down from a box on the flat, or mount the box flat on the joist so one side is aimed down.

And remember that you can have more than one receptacle on a circuit, including 240V circuits.  If there are two or more machines that will never run simultaneously, you could put them on the same circuit.  I have 6 receptacles on my only 20A 240V heavy machine circuit, since I don't (and really can't) run my 2 hp Delta RAS and/or 3 hp Unisaw and/or wood lathe at the same time, and the shop is too small for anyone else to work them at the same time, at least not safely.  And it's my shop.  So they don't.  DC is on its own circuit, of course.

You can also hardwire cord into a box rather than using twist locks to the ceiling box.  Look at the ceiling (open bar joists, usually) of any supermarket and you'll see cords wired into boxes, dropping down to serve displays and small refrigeration units and even check-out register locations, including both data and power.  Just sayin'.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions, and to TDKPE especially for your extensive response. You've all given me lots to think about and plenty of ideas. My initial inclination is to just make a "pigtail" out of the proper sized stranded wire, plug it into the overhead receptacle, loop it over a hook (as was suggested) and "unloop" it when I need it. I'm currently using an overhead receptacle for my tablesaw. I made a cord out of Romex with plugs on both ends and just plug the tablesaw in when I need to (it's on a mobile base). Unwieldy and cumbersome but has worked as a temporary fix.

I've also used this same receptacle for my bandsaw and other tools as well. Since I'm rearranging things in the shop I want to have enough of these receptacles to handle the tools that live in each particular area. When I'm finished with this "remodel" everything in the shop will be on a mobile base, so it can be moved out of the way when not in use. I actually have plenty of room in my basement shop (24x30 minus a medium sized closet) so I just need to allocate the space a little better.

BTW, I've thought about running more than one machine off of a single circuit, i.e. just running additional lines to receptacles. It would work in my shop for me as I'm also the only one that works there. However, my electrician is also an inspector and he frowns on this practice. He's the same guy that worked the remodel and addition to our home a few years ago and did a fantastic job (was not an inspector then). I am fortunate to have 400 amp service to my house so having enough power is not a problem. Getting to it and distributing it is always the rub - just takes a little more time and effort. Thanks again.

Doug
(01-06-2018, 09:03 AM)EricU Wrote: retractable hose lanyard?

Is this what you had in mind?

Doug