OSB for studs?
I watch a YouTube video on an HVAC heat exchange device and I noted that the studs were engineered.  Are they building whole structures out of engineered lumber.  I know they have been using engineered joists for several years, but I did not realize they were also using OSB studs. 

$250K for a house that will last 30-40 years?  Really?
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Don’t get it wet. Or let it catch fire.

Though I think it is more strand than flake, I’d still prefer read wood.
You sure it wasn't LVL instead of OSB?  I have heard of LVL for beams (very strong, fire resistant, available in long spans...overall a good choice), but not for studs.

So I Googled "Laminated Veneer Lumber for Studs":
Menard's has them available at twice the cost of premium conventional studs.

This Old House has info on laminated lumber.

Boise Cascade has info about why they are better.

Raised
One of the trademarks for the stuff is Timberstrand.

I think they're technically LSL, not LVL.

LSL = Laminated Strand Lumber.

LVL = Laminated Veneer Lumber.
(01-06-2018, 08:50 PM)Cecil Wrote: I watch a YouTube video on an HVAC heat exchange device and I noted that the studs were engineered.  Are they building whole structures out of engineered lumber.  I know they have been using engineered joists for several years, but I did not realize they were also using OSB studs. 

$250K for a house that will last 30-40 years?  Really?

Why do you think the house will only last 40 years?
(01-06-2018, 09:21 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Why do you think the house will only last 40 years?

I think the problems are similar to OSB, where all the extra end-grain increases absorption, should the materials get/stay wet.

If it doesn't get wet, no problem.  But that isn't necessarily realistic, I see lots of houses going up and windows and doors going in without anything but house wrap for flashing.
(01-06-2018, 09:21 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Why do you think the house will only last 40 years?

(01-06-2018, 09:36 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I think the problems are similar to OSB, where all the extra end-grain increases absorption, should the materials get/stay wet.

If it doesn't get wet, no problem.  But that isn't necessarily realistic, I see lots of houses going up and windows and doors going in without anything but house wrap for flashing.

Yep, Phil nailed it.  What used to be a minor repair is now a major tear out. 

Not only is the shortcuts the contractors take an issue, but so is the DIY'er, who over the next 20 -30 years will add something to the house.  By the time their mistake is caught, a major tear-out is needed to make the repair.
(01-06-2018, 09:08 PM)JosephP Wrote: You sure it wasn't LVL instead of OSB?  I have heard of LVL for beams (very strong, fire resistant, available in long spans...overall a good choice), but not for studs.

LSL, not LVL, Like Phil said.  It was Timberstrand

"LSL resembles oriented strandboard in appearance because like OSB, LSL is made from long strands coming from fast-growing aspen or poplar. However, unlike OSB, the strands are arranged parallel to the longitudinal axis of the member." from http://cwc.ca/wood-products/structural-c...nd-lumber/

The word lumber instead of board, but other than that, a pile of glued chips of pulpwood.
(01-06-2018, 10:35 PM)Cecil Wrote: LSL, not LVL, Like Phil said.  It was Timberstrand

"LSL resembles oriented strandboard in appearance because like OSB, LSL is made from long strands coming from fast-growing aspen or poplar. However, unlike OSB, the strands are arranged parallel to the longitudinal axis of the member." from http://cwc.ca/wood-products/structural-c...nd-lumber/

The word lumber instead of board, but other than that, a pile of glued chips of pulpwood.

2 of the links I provided above were for LVL being used for studs...
I guess they don't want to use steel.  At least the engineered lumber will be straight, which would be a big plus, I don't know how people build houses nowadays.