Festool
(01-07-2018, 09:56 AM)museumguy Wrote: ok, I'm not a Festool user however a friend is getting started buying a couple of pieces. The question came up and we can't get a definitive answer. Did/does Festool sell a belt sander to be used in the USA ? He could really use one if they did/do.

They d not need to make a belt sander. Their Rotex sanders can be used in Random Orbit mode, or in rough mode. (Spinning but not random) The rough mode is just as fast at stock removal as a belt sander and much lighter and easier to control.

I say this having used them. I am no Festool Fanboi. They make some very good tools (sander, domino, track saw) and Some that are simply overpriced in my opinion. (Jigsaw, Router, drills)
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I've used my Rotex to even up studs on a crappy remodeling job, only because of the dust collection.

My Milwaukee belt sander would've done it in 1/2 the time, while making a huge mess in the bedroom.

Ed
(01-22-2018, 08:14 AM)thooks Wrote: If that one on fleaBay is bought, the plug on the cord is going to have to be changed most likely.  I doubt many have 30 amp receptacles to accommodate it.

I have an extension cord that adapts from that plug to my wall outlet then again I have one that adapts dryer plugs too.  Some 3 hp unisaws came with that style plug
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I have run my Porter Cable belt sander with my Festool vac and it works very well.
(01-28-2018, 01:38 AM)Pondracer Wrote: I have run my Porter Cable belt sander with my Festool vac and it works very well.

Talked the friend a couple of days ago and this is how he's going to handle it. He needs to use a belt sander and is going to connect his to the Festool vac.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry