Craftsman Jointer
(01-08-2018, 07:58 PM)TDKPE Wrote: We had one in a cabinet shop I worked in many moons ago.  Never had to adjust it other than moving the fence to spread the cutter wear, but it worked fine.  Looks like the one in the ad has an 1800 rpm motor (large motor sheave), not that it matters (it doesn't).  

It would be a step up from my vintage 4" Delta, which was new when I bought it (sad that it's now 'vintage' 
Sad ).

I wouldn't go over $125 if it's all there, and try for $100.  But that depends also on how badly you want/need it, and what sort of market there is in your area for used machines.

So it probably doesn't have the motor I am hoping for ?    
Sad
Sad

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(01-08-2018, 08:17 PM)fishhh4 Wrote: So it probably doesn't have the motor I am hoping for ?    
Sad
Sad

Not true.  Packard made that style for Craftsman in both 1800 and 3600 rpm flavors.  I have both, in several hp ratings.  They're sort of odd in that the start capacitor is flat, and mounted in the CI base.  But they're solid motors, with Klixon type overload protection (little red reset button) and ball bearings.  

I restored a small Craftsman shaper with a 1/2 hp motor of the type you're looking for.  Pics here. 

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/d...px?id=8258

Edit: Sniffing around my old catalogs, it looks like it came with a 2-1/2" motor sheave for a 3600 rpm motor, so it's up in the air what that machine actually has for a motor.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(01-08-2018, 10:25 AM)gregr Wrote: Not sure why JimV says the jointer is no good, but that is a nice jointer - heavy and well made. 

The outfeed table is adjustable by using 3 table leveling screws, which I believe allows the outfeed table to be adjusted planar to the infeed table across both the length and the width.

I would say it would be worth $125

Greg

I had assumed this was one with a fixed outfeed table. If not and the overall length fits your needs, then as long as it's worth it to you, it's worth it.
"There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other is that heat comes from the furnace." - Aldo Leopold