Local woodworker
Does anyone know how I would go about finding a local woodworker in my area to come and consult on my house. Just purchased a 133 year old brick victorian fixer upper with lots of old wood throughout the house. I want to preserve/restore anything that is worth keeping. Also just want some info on the types of wood used in the house etc... the house is in Downingtown PA. Anyone on here local?
Contact your local contractors association. That would be a start.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Ask for references from.... 
+ the pro counter at the local lumber yard
+ the inspection counter at your city and county building departments (also, find out what residential construction                permits are active and visit the construction sites)
+ local architects
+ local general contractors who hire subcontractors
+ local real estate agents
+ friends, family, neighbors, groups you belong to
+ local historical society -- http://www.downingtownareahistoricalsociety.org
Thanks for the suggestions, have tried most of those. Was hoping to be able to pay someone on here. I found a local Woodcraft store right around the corner! I'll be going there tomorrow.
(01-08-2018, 10:25 PM)Sp@Z Wrote: Thanks for the suggestions, have tried most of those. Was hoping to be able to pay someone on here. I found a local Woodcraft store right around the corner! I'll be going there tomorrow.

Woodcraft is a great idea.  If you put looking for woodworker in Dowtown PA in the title of the post, you might find someone here as well.
My local lumber supplier has a bulletin board covered with pictures of projects along with the business card of the furniture maker.

You could also head to New Hope. I'm sure the Nakashima shop will make you something.
Did you check with your and surrounding historical societies? Sounds like to start you aren't looking for more of a designer/ architect not a contractor yet. Not sure they are still there but there was a historical furniture builder off rite 100 I think near oaklands Corp center
(01-08-2018, 11:51 AM)Sp@Z Wrote: Does anyone know how I would go about finding a local woodworker in my area to come and consult on my house. Just purchased a 133 year old brick victorian fixer upper with lots of old wood throughout the house. I want to preserve/restore anything that is worth keeping. Also just want some info on the types of wood used in the house etc... the house is in Downingtown PA. Anyone on here local?

Just be careful who you talk to. There's a lot of people out there that think they know more than they actually do.
Jim
(01-08-2018, 11:51 AM)Sp@Z Wrote: Does anyone know how I would go about finding a local woodworker in my area to come and consult on my house. Just purchased a 133 year old brick victorian fixer upper with lots of old wood throughout the house. I want to preserve/restore anything that is worth keeping. Also just want some info on the types of wood used in the house etc... the house is in Downingtown PA. Anyone on here local?

My brother did just as your intending to do. The renovation was over twice what he budgeted, cost him his wife in the process.

Hi Sp@Z - you've already received some excellent advice (and some precautions -
Wink), so cannot add much - BUT, I was thinking, where are the guys below when you need them? Good luck - Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina