Woods that stain things they come in contact with
There was a recent thread about certain woods that will transfer their color to things they come in contact with. I have a piece of padauk that I would like to use to make a jewelry box. I believe this is one of those woods in question. I would feel totally crushed if I give the box as a special present and then learn that it ruined a dresser top or other item that it sat upon.

So my questions are:
1)  Will finishing the padauk with shellac and/or Arm-R-Seal eliminate any future problem with staining? This is my normal finishing process.
2) Are there finishes to avoid, such as waterbased finishes, tung oil, Watco oil, or True Oil?

Most woods like that will only "bleed" colour if water is involved. Either the wood is still green, or it gets wet. 

If you are worried then a varnish or shellac finish should prevent that, even if someone spills their drink on it.  Or to be double sure, glue some felt "feet" to the jewellery box, then it's not in contact with other wood anyway.
The biggest issue I have found with padauk is in sanding,the dust goes everywhere,so wear a good respirator.It also gets in your clothes and is hard to get out.As far as it staining any thing it comes in contact with,I have never had a problem with it.The only other issue I have had with it is when doing glue ups for segmented pepper mills and again when sanding the dust will bleed into lighter woods.I gave up using it.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Once the wood is finished I don't see how it could be an issue.  But I always put felt, cork, or something similar on the corners of a box bottom.  That keeps the box and the furniture it sits on from getting damaged by grit or interaction between the finishes, and lets air circulate underneath, too.

John
Thanks, everyone, for confirming my thoughts. More importantly, it reminded me of the problems with dust from cutting and sanding. And I wasn't thinking about the felted bottom, which I usually do anyway.

(01-09-2018, 12:30 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Thanks, everyone, for confirming my thoughts. More importantly, it reminded me of the problems with dust from cutting and sanding. And I wasn't thinking about the felted bottom, which I usually do anyway.

Lets see some pics when you have it finished,best of luck.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(01-09-2018, 02:23 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: Lets see some pics when you have it finished,best of luck.

Mel

Won't be for a while. Hopefully a graduation present in June.

I either use self adhesive little rubber dots for the feet or self adhesive felt dots. Depends on whether I want it to set 1/16" or 1/8" off the surface.