toilet issue
(01-09-2018, 12:52 PM)Cooler Wrote: That's a concern.  I think I will do just that.  It could get very messy otherwise.  

Right now I am in the middle of a remodel of the guest bathroom so this is a one-toilet house at the moment.  Another area of concern.

..... And the plot thickens....
(01-09-2018, 12:46 PM)Cooler Wrote: Thanks.  I just looked it up and Lowe's has it in stock for $12.00.  

You may not be happy with an inexpensive auger. Check the cable diameter. An auger with a 1/2" diameter cable works better than one with a 3/8" cable. Lowe's has a Cobra for $30. This is the one I have.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-3-ft-.../100061898
(01-09-2018, 11:14 AM)Cooler Wrote: This morning before leaving for work I flushed the toilet and a small plastic flashlight fell off the counter and into the toilet.  It flushed down the toilet and did not resurface.

The toilet freely flushes liquids.

The concern is that the flashlight will be lodged in the toilet and prevent solids from passing.

What steps should I take?  It resembles the one below.  It is about 3" long and about 3/4" diameter.  No lanyard.

[Image: 240pcs-Super-Bright-Plastic-Portable-Min...Hiking.jpg]
Use a dry wet vac empty the bowl and tank remove from flange.  Get toilet from disabled bath put in place.  When you get time remove tank from old unit then shake bowl until the flashlight falls out or just get a new toilet
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Just take the toilet out and turn it upside down Had to do this when kids dropped a toy in mine
So, ifin there's no turds in front of it, why not shut the water off, flush, then stick yer hand in there slightly, enough to feel the flashlight end? Just don't jam your hand in there.....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I'd take the same flashlight (spare one) and put it in a bowl of water and see if it floats or is buoyant at all. If it floats at all, it probably will just flush out. If it makes it past the toilet, your probably clear. It looks pretty small and short- hard to tell with your pic showing them next to a miniature bench.
I guess you could pack a lot of paper in there and flush to see what happens. The paper will aide in pushing it through or it will clog. Better to clog with clean paper than dirty.
Hope for the best- plan for the worst.

had you been able to turn it on before flushing, you could maybe turn the lights out and see the strange glow in the turlet.
On the way home I picked up a Rigid toilet auger.  It cost $35.00 and looks like a pretty robust piece of equipment.  $35.00 seemed fair enough.

When I got home I snaked out the toilet.  I felt no obstructions.   I repeated it two more times.  

Now that my "emergency" has passed, I carried the auger to the basement.  I took a look at it and thought "$35.00 for this?  A spring and a piece of tubing and a plastic handle?  It probably cost less than $5.00 to make.  What a f***ing rip-off!"

I guess that's human nature.  When I was desparate, $35.00 was fair; now that I am not desparate, it is a rip-off.

Thanks for the guidance guys.  

This is a very old toilet and I will replace it as soon as the new toilet is installed in the guest bathroom.  It makes me nervous having no operational toilets for even just a couple of hours.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-10-2018, 08:47 AM)Cooler Wrote:   It makes me nervous having no operational toilets for even just a couple of hours.

Everyone needs to learn how to poop outside at some point.
Laugh
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

You got lucky I had a tenant drop a visine bottle in and it got lodged in the trap allowing the auger to pass but nothing bigger or paper.  After she finally admitted she had dropped the bottle and the issue became her's to resolve a new toilet was installed.  I think that cost her $450 and some how convinced her not to put stuff that could fall off the shelf and plug the toilet elsewhere
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(01-10-2018, 11:04 AM)Bob10 Wrote: You got lucky I had a tenant drop a visine bottle in and it got lodged in the trap allowing the auger to pass but nothing bigger or paper.  After she finally admitted she had dropped the bottle and the issue became her's to resolve a new toilet was installed.  I think that cost her $450 and some how convinced her not to put stuff that could fall off the shelf and plug the toilet elsewhere
I don't usually keep a small flashlight in the bathroom, but we had a brief power outage and I have problems peeing by braille.  

I will not keep those itty bitty things on the shelf in the future.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.