HVLP sprayers
I have a harbor freight sprayer, which does surprisingly adequate work. But I’m thinking of upgrading. Does anyone have a recommendation under $500?
(01-09-2018, 12:02 PM)Mike7759 Wrote: I have a harbor freight sprayer, which does surprisingly adequate work. But I’m thinking of upgrading. Does anyone have a recommendation under $500?

The Quaspray AM-6008 SmartPak from Homestead Finishing is an excellent all around gun.  I have the HVLP version with the 3M PPS cup and spray everything from water based dye to BM Advance with it.  I highly recommend the 3M PPS system as it allows you to see what's in the cup and, more importantly, allows you to spray at any angle including upside down.  I think it ended up being about $375 to my door.  I've had it for over 2 years now and have sprayed at least 20 gallons of stuff through it.  Always excellent performance.  And easy to clean.  

Give Jeff at Homestead a call and discuss your needs/wants with him.  

John

PS: The purple HF gun sprays about as well as any other gun, even very high end ones, if the viscosity you are spraying matches the gun. Shellac and low viscosity lacquers spray beautifully through it. If you are thinking of upgrading because you think a more expensive gun will spray those finishes better, you are likely to be disappointed. The benefit of the Qualspray gun is it comes with 3 N/N, and even more are available, and the cup is pressurized. Those features are what allows it to spray a much wider range of products, but it doesn't really spray shellac much better than the HF gun. Cheap guns are really good these days as long as the viscosity matches their N/N.
Are you looking for just a gun (and cups and N/N sets, etc) to use with a compressor you already have? Need specs on the compressor too if this is the case.

Or are you looking at turbine units?
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
i was actually looking at turbines like the earlex or fuji
(01-09-2018, 08:06 PM)Mike7759 Wrote: i was actually looking at turbines like the earlex or fuji

Why?  If you already have a large compressor a conversion gun offers much higher performance/$.  

John
(01-09-2018, 09:33 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Why?  If you already have a large compressor a conversion gun offers much higher performance/$.  

John

I have to agree with John. I use turbine guns (AccuSpray and Apollo, approx $300 a gun) professionally because I'm held to very strict EPA and state standards spraying outdoors. A turbine gun will always meet low VOC laws and they will always produce less overspray than any HVLP conversion gun like the HF or any other I've used and they aren't nearly as finicky when dirty so I can keep moving. I don't have time to mask off to prevent overspray or clean it up.

That being said: When I'm spraying at home, away from the watchful eye of anybody who doesn't like outdoor painters, I use a conversion gun very similar to the HF gun. One of my favorites is a Grizzly and I have a few other cheap ones that I paid less than $30 for and they atomize much better than my $300 turbine guns. I do have a nice SATA that I break out for special projects but I don't like breaking it down to clean it so I generally use the cheap ones. They're easier to clean and less finicky when dirty and honestly, do a pretty decent job.

If I was going to drop more cash on spray equipment, I'd probably buy nicer oil separators and driers or maybe upgrade my compressor.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I have a 15 gallon dewalt compressor.
I agree with John go Qualspray unit. I have the gravity version of his gun. It doesn't spray shellac any better than my HF gun. With the bigger N/N I have better control over thicker finishes. I run mine off a 10gal Craftsman compressor. I would bet your 15gal will work just fine.
(01-10-2018, 07:23 AM)Mike7759 Wrote: I have a 15 gallon dewalt compressor.

Yeah, that's pretty small.  I bought my 60 gal unit used for $300.  I've been using it for about 6 years now with no issues.  Buy a couple more low cost guns  to cover the N/N's you need and you're still well under $500.  If that has no appeal then I'd go with the Earlex 5500 or similar.  I'm told they spray very well and it's within your budget. 

John
(01-10-2018, 11:01 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Yeah, that's pretty small.  I bought my 60 gal unit used for $300.  I've been using it for about 6 years now with no issues.  Buy a couple more low cost guns  to cover the N/N's you need and you're still well under $500.  If that has no appeal then I'd go with the Earlex 5500 or similar.  I'm told they spray very well and it's within your budget. 

John

I've got an old leaky 25 Gallon Craftsman (not sure who makes it) that gives me 9scfm at 40 psi. that will run a pretty hefty spray gun. I picked it up under $100 at a yard sale. They're out there.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay