Need suggestions for refinishing countertop.
I’d check IKEA if he wants wood. There are lots of “bar top” finishes out there. I’m not surprised he’s having a hard time finding someone to strip and refinish it. It won’t be terribly difficult damaging the ply while stripping. I didn’t say it couldn’t be done without damage but it will take great care. Stripping finish is dirty work and I think the good contractors are most likely flush in work. At least around here they are. Finding someone to do a new install would be easier.

(01-20-2018, 04:36 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: I’d check IKEA if he wants wood.  There are lots of “bar top” finishes out there.  I’m not surprised he’s having a hard time finding someone to strip and refinish it.  It won’t be terribly difficult damaging the ply while stripping.  I didn’t say it couldn’t be done without damage but it will take great care.  Stripping finish is dirty work and I think the good contractors are most likely flush in work.  At least around here they are.  Finding someone to do a new install would be easier.

Ikea is 6 hours away, the hardwood supplier is only 2 hours away.

The main issue is too many new houses being built in the area.  I sold a table saw to a crew who was brought in from Florida to build a home because there was a 3 year wait to get a contractor to start a new house. 

I doubt he has even tried to find someone to refinish it.  I just know from trying to find someone to do some excavation, plumbing or HVAC, and it is nearly impossible to get someone to even return a phone call.  The one bid I did get from a plumber was $4,200 for one days work.  If you can get someone to show up, it is prohibitively expensive.

We had discussed his bar before but only when I saw it I knew the plywood was going to be a problem.  When he asked for advice on refinishing the top I am happy to talk him through the process, but want nothing to do with a refinishing job, I barely like finishing my own projects.  If he does choose to replace it with a real wood top, I would be interested in helping out, I enjoy woodworking a refinishing job, not so much.
A carpenter's house is never done.