Tablesaw Choices - I went Minimax SC3
My take:  They're playing you and trying to run-out the clock on your chance to dispute the charge (did you ask your CC the last day you can dispute?).

I'd explain that their policies notwithstanding, it is my policy not to finance outfits incapable of adequately packaging items for shipping, or fixing the inevitable shipping damage.

And therefor, they have 24-hours to propose an acceptable solution that happens in 7-14 days (something inside your dispute window), or you'll dispute the charge.

And they can give you a break w/ the "we mostly do $100k orders," and "we don't care about this little stuff."  I've never heard such a line of BS in my entire life.
(01-29-2018, 04:19 PM)Pondracer Wrote: Well its not so much that I am concerned about Sam's well-being, but I find it interesting that somehow they place him in the path of my decision to dispute payment, and perhaps he might be a little more pro-active had he known that.  Or maybe its irrelevant.  The spif on my little SC3 probably isnt quite the same as the $100k industrial unit.

My ex is a corporate attorney at a major international firm and we are still on great terms, but over the years I learned from her that once it gets to the lawyers all hope is lost and everyone is screwed - except the lawyers.  The legal bill, added to what I would get selling off a basically new Minimax SC3 would get me an Altendorf if thats where this goes.  And all I want is a saw that works.

It seems that their strategy is to "place" many people in your path (including Sam) so that you will bounce from one incompetent, uncaring person to the next, hoping you will eventually tire of the "process" they have created and give up. I have to say that I don't quite understand your previous statement (paraphrasing) that once you dispute the charge with your credit card company, you now own the machine? I would think that disputing the charge would give you leverage to motivate them to send you a return authorization to send the machine back to them.  Once they figure out that they aren't going to get paid for it, the next best thing for them is to recover it and deal with their shipping company themselves - at least that's the way I see it.

Point taken on the attorneys. It is always my choice of last resort. I would think that this dispute could be resolved without legal intervention; I'm certain they do not want to incur those costs on their end either. However, if push comes to shove that's one of the reasons there is a legal system.

If you look at the macro picture, even if they eventually (who knows when this might be???) decide to replace the damaged parts at no cost to you, do you really want to be forced to have a lengthy relationship with this company and these people? I know I wouldn't. It's human nature that after you make a purchase of this magnitude, you'd like to have a cordial relationship with the seller, and know that they are there to help if you need them (that's what good companies do). Thus far, they have indicated that they are the antithesis of this philosophy. I would move on to the next machine and company of your choice.

Doug
(01-29-2018, 08:22 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Time to call the president of SCM NA. 

This.  I had a dispute with AT&T when we built our house.  The dispute was they didn't think they provided service to my new house, even though there was an AT&T facility less than a mile away.   The short story is I didn't get it resolved until I called the office of the AT&T President and started making a pest of myself.  

I'm in customer service, and frankly would be apoplectic over the service you are getting. I'd be calling both the president of the company, and if your state has one  filing a complaint with consumer protection division.   That was the other thing that got AT&T motivated - I filed a complaint with my state.
(01-30-2018, 06:47 AM)crokett™ Wrote: This.  I had a dispute with AT&T when we built our house.  The dispute was they didn't think they provided service to my new house, even though there was an AT&T facility less than a mile away.   The short story is I didn't get it resolved until I called the office of the AT&T President and started making a pest of myself.  

I'm in customer service, and frankly would be apoplectic over the service you are getting. I'd be calling both the president of the company, and if your state has one  filing a complaint with consumer protection division.   That was the other thing that got AT&T motivated - I filed a complaint with my state.

I would be very surprised if the president of this company does not know this is going on, i.e. it seems like company policy. The example is always set from the top. 

Doug
(01-30-2018, 11:31 AM)Tapper Wrote: I would be very surprised if the president of this company does not know this is going on, i.e. it seems like company policy. The example is always set from the top. 

Doug

This seems crazy to me.  How can a company that deal in shipping, heavy, expensive machinery, not have a good plan in place to handle relatively small damages to machines as they happen.

Crazy story, sounds brutal.
I left a couple of one star reviews on Facebook Friday night.  I got an email Monday morning with the CEO of the company in the chain.  They felt my reviews were inappropriate and included a copy of an internal email request for approval to ship the parts.  I responded with a timeline of the situation and sent it over around 3pm. We shall see what happens.

I went and picked up the mobile base I had fabricated and dropped it off at a local company that does machine restoration.  They will sandblast it and cover it with a really durable paint.  Forklift is scheduled for Monday to drop it into the base.
I am following this thread with an elevated blood pressure level as I am waiting for delivery of a MiniMax jointer and am beginning to become very apprehensive. I really feel sorry for you having to go through all this. Simply communicating with the customer would go a long way to lowering stress levels One of the reason I choose the MiniMax was their reputation for good customer support. I have a MM16 and all my dealings with the company have been good so far. Based on your experience I fear they are following the lead of some other sellers and abandoning Customer Service as a sales tool. Please continue to post updates. Thanks.
(01-30-2018, 08:24 PM)Pondracer Wrote: They felt my reviews were inappropriate and included a copy of an internal email request for approval to ship the parts. 

This is quite telling to me. Why in the world wouldn't they want to know that one of their customers was not pleased??? According to your earlier narrative, you gave them several chances to do the right thing, and they passed.

And then to "include" a copy of an internal email about the replacement parts - why didn't they just call you and tell you that the parts request was in the approval pipeline and they would be forthcoming soon?

It seems to me that since you've gone ahead with the fabrication and painting of this customized mobile base, you have decided to keep the machine, before any resolution to the problems with this company. Again, I wish you luck.

Doug
(01-31-2018, 12:08 PM)Tapper Wrote: This is quite telling to me. Why in the world wouldn't they want to know that one of their customers was not pleased??? According to your earlier narrative, you gave them several chances to do the right thing, and they passed.

And then to "include" a copy of an internal email about the replacement parts - why didn't they just call you and tell you that the parts request was in the approval pipeline and they would be forthcoming soon?

It seems to me that since you've gone ahead with the fabrication and painting of this customized mobile base, you have decided to keep the machine, before any resolution to the problems with this company. Again, I wish you luck.

Doug

Doug,

With regards to the base, I never said I was smart 
Smile  I know, and still no word after I sent the email Monday afternoon. 

Jeff G.
(01-31-2018, 09:38 AM)ksquared2 Wrote: I am following this thread with an elevated blood pressure level as I am waiting for delivery of a MiniMax jointer and am beginning to become very apprehensive. I really feel sorry for you having to go through all this. Simply communicating with the customer would go a long way to lowering stress levels One of the reason I choose the MiniMax was their reputation for good customer support. I have a MM16 and all my dealings with the  company have been good so far. Based on your experience I fear they are following the lead of some other sellers and abandoning Customer Service as a sales tool. Please continue to post updates. Thanks.

Well, now you know to look that crate over closely before it leaves the truck.  And I do mean close.  I was in love with that Minimax jointer/planer combo.  I've always struggled with the jointer (I have a Grizzly 6"), its just not a machine I am comfortable using correctly.  You really want to be careful, Sam told me those machines are the ones they have the worst luck with in shipping.  Not trying to make you worry, I wish you luck with it.

Jeff G.