Small Bowls
Big Grin 
I had some smaller branches of an Ornamental Pear tree, laying around... so... I made some small bowls from it. The bowls are around 5" diameter rim and 2" to 2½" tall. I get a kick out of these little bowls. I like 'em. I'm wondering what value they may have. How much do you guys think, I could get for each one? Friction finish with beeswax. Nice feel... nearly flawless finish.

[Image: ltx9wv.jpg]
that is very nice work. Pear is a pleasure to turn. I would ask 50.00 each unless someone were to buy multiples.
It seems I need to send my stuff to Crockett to sell.

Around here the most I got was from a pretty nice quilted maple bowl of that I sold for $65 but the wood cost $35 and getting the cost back was good.

Most stuff like that goes from $30 to $35 around here.

You did a nice job on them to.

O and one more thing.  If they are to be used they wipe on poly should be used and let it dry for a month before selling to use because they will not listen when it needs to dry a few weeks and will use it right away.
Rolleyes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin, I said I would ask 50.00, not that I would sell it for that.
Wink If I priced it at that to start, then when they offered me 30 or 35 they feel like they're getting a bargain.
Thanks guys for the compliments. Since I have no idea, what value it holds, the feedback is appreciated. I really like the pear wood too. Better than cherry wood, IMHO. The grain always seems to be interesting and it turns wonderfully. Fortunately, I have a good amount of it. These big branches, were earmarked for the fireplace... but decided to use 'em for a much higher purpose.
[Image: l66kB6.jpg]
Nice work!

Is that Bradford pear? If so that is a big limb
Yes, that is a branch from a Bradford Pear. It was a big BIG tree. The Neighbor 5 houses away had it, in his backyard. I've got a good amount of wood from that tree.

But... you know... my memory is not to be trusted... however, it is my most honest memory of it. I've since started tagging wood that I scavenge. Tags with specie and date. I'm amazed at how fast the years go by.
Seriously, on the value don't undersell yourself. I have learned over the last few years that most people have no idea how long something hand made takes. I wouldn't sell those bowls for anything less than 35.00. I'm finishing up a cherry bowl that's about 9" diameter and about 7" deep. I'm probably going to price it around 70.00.
(01-10-2018, 10:22 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Seriously, on the value don't undersell yourself.   I have learned over the last few years that most people have no idea how long something hand made takes.  I wouldn't sell those bowls for anything less than 35.00.  I'm finishing up a cherry bowl that's about 9" diameter and about 7" deep.  I'm probably going to price it around 70.00.

Okay.. thank you for the advice. All my life, I've undervalued my work. Since I don't have any pressing need to sell it right away... I can wait for a decent price. And with the mindset of no pressing need to sell it, I will go forward. But.. If I get to the point where there are 300 hundred bowls in the house... I will re-examine my prices.
Smirk
(01-11-2018, 12:23 AM)MidwestMan Wrote: Okay.. thank you for the advice. All my life, I've undervalued my work. Since I don't have any pressing need to sell it right away... I can wait for a decent price. And with the mindset of no pressing need to sell it, I will go forward. But.. If I get to the point where there are 300 hundred bowls in the house... I will re-examine my prices.
Smirk

You determine value based on two very important factors. 

First, how easily could you replace what you're selling.  Here you might include time invested, though that is least important, because you love to spend time turning, and all, say bowls, take about the same time, regardless the material.  Here's where the "300 bowls" come into play.  When you run short on storage, the asking price goes down.

Second, the market.  Usable pieces sell for lower prices.  You have bowls suitable for dry use only, and they're pretty small.  Nuts about the only use, though some may buy for display.  Popcorn, salad or chips pretty much out unless they're larger and appropriately finished for the purpose.  Artsy stuff may be finished with anything which you favor, because it's not going to be used, and can take some strange shapes and even colors.  Here's where the sweat factor overrides other considerations.

Having said that, there are pieces which may go to two or more shows with nothing more than handling.  If I wouldn't mind putting it on my shelf, I do.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.