Top Coat Kitchen Cabinets
I'm using HM ply for the sides and back. I'm using 3 coats Amber Shellac on the insides & on the dies that are exposed before assembly. I'm thinking only 1 coat the exterior sides that are mounted to the cabinets on either side.  What the experience guys (or gals) have to say.
Jim
You don't mention if  your are brushing or spraying.  

I brushed my cabinets and all vertical surfaces received two coats, all horizontal surfaces received 3 or 4 coats.  

The two coats was to ensure full coverage.  If you are using shellac as a first coat I might go with a single coat on the vertical surfaces.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-11-2018, 11:46 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I'm using HM ply for the sides and back. I'm using 3 coats Amber Shellac on the insides & on the dies that are exposed before assembly. I'm thinking only 1 coat the exterior sides that are mounted to the cabinets on either side.  What the experience guys (or gals) have to say.

Shellac would not be something I'd want on kitchen cabinets w/o a protective topcoat.  

John
(01-11-2018, 01:16 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Shellac would not be something I'd want on kitchen cabinets w/o a protective topcoat.  

John

I think of shellac as a top coat. Why don't you?
Jim
(01-13-2018, 06:10 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I think of shellac as a top coat. Why don't you?

A lot of cleaners will have a effect on shellac,   ammonia will totally destroy shellac so cleaners like Windex will ruin it.  Roly
Shellac is not as hard wearing as modern finishes. I like it for a base coat, but with one or two coats of poly over it for vertical surfaces and one or two more for horizontal surfaces.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
My cabinets all get prefinished cabinet grade ply. Finishing the inside of cabinets for me is a hassle when I can get things done for me.
(01-11-2018, 11:46 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I'm using HM ply for the sides and back. I'm using 3 coats Amber Shellac on the insides & on the dies that are exposed before assembly. I'm thinking only 1 coat the exterior sides that are mounted to the cabinets on either side.  What the experience guys (or gals) have to say.

Kitchen cabinets get used and abused... I only use oil base polyurethane,  start with it end with it
Smile  good hard finish for many many years.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(01-13-2018, 06:10 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I think of shellac as a top coat. Why don't you?
It doesn't stand up to water.

I think you'll find the standard for this application is polyurethane.

Thanks everyone! Lesson learned. I'm still building the cabinets. So poly it'll be.
Jim