Photo hosting/posting question
Happy it got you sorted, Hank.
I'm unsure if the OP is asking about image hosting sites in general or how to post images on the Woodnet.net forum. I am finding that more forums of this kind are allowing one to post images directly from your computer without the need of a hosting site. Woodnet.net is one of those. Unfortunately, instructions for doing so are somewhat difficult to find and contain a lot of outdated information. If there are any administrators reading this, I ask that clear up-to-date instructions be placed either in a "sticky message" or in "help".

In the meantime, you can find step by step instructions on page 47 of a 48 page thread
here. The instructions are in the last message on that page written by Wipedout. Thank you Wipedout.
Be aware that you have to post photos from Flickr in a specific way to prevent people from seeing ALL the photos in that album and maybe beyond that, but I'm not sure.   

John
(01-12-2018, 03:20 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Be aware that you have to post photos from Flickr in a specific way to prevent people from seeing ALL the photos in that album and maybe beyond that, but I'm not sure.   

John

Thanks, John. I probably won't use my Flickr account for anything other than positing photos on the two woodworking forums I frequent, so I don't really mind if people want to browse through my site. I will, however, keep your caution in mind if I start using the account for other purposes.
(01-12-2018, 03:20 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Be aware that you have to post photos from Flickr in a specific way to prevent people from seeing ALL the photos in that album and maybe beyond that, but I'm not sure.   

John

You can control the viewing rights for individual images in an album as well as make albums that are entirely private or entirely public. It's quite flexible in that way. You can change viewing permissions as needed.
(01-12-2018, 04:17 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: You can control the viewing rights for individual images in an album as well as make albums that are entirely private or entirely public. It's quite flexible in that way. You can change viewing permissions as needed.

Yes, but you have to take specific action to change them.  What I really don't like is that the default when you post a photo here from Flickr is that anyone can click on it and it will take them to your album where they will be able to see whatever else is there with public access, as it did when I clicked on the photo of the dresser you posted a couple of days ago.  You have to cull a large portion of the string that gets copied in order to post an individual picture only.  

John
(01-13-2018, 11:26 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Yes, but you have to take specific action to change them.  What I really don't like is that the default when you post a photo here from Flickr is that anyone can click on it and it will take them to your album where they will be able to see whatever else is there with public access, as it did when I clicked on the photo of the dresser you posted a couple of days ago.  You have to cull a large portion of the string that gets copied in order to post an individual picture only.  

John

I've never thought it was all that big of a deal to edit the link after placing it. I guess I don't mind others looking at images that I've made public anyway. If I don't want people to see certain images, I make them private or set them to be shared only with a limited group.

[Image: 27621671029_61b8c35374.jpg]
(01-12-2018, 02:48 PM)Willyou Wrote: I'm unsure if the OP is asking about image hosting sites in general or how to post images on the Woodnet.net forum. I am finding that more forums of this kind are allowing one to post images directly from your computer without the need of a hosting site. Woodnet.net is one of those. Unfortunately, instructions for doing so are somewhat difficult to find and contain a lot of outdated information. If there are any administrators reading this, I ask that clear up-to-date instructions be placed either in a "sticky message" or in "help".

In the meantime, you can find step by step instructions on page 47 of a 48 page thread
here. The instructions are in the last message on that page written by Wipedout. Thank you Wipedout.

Wipedout Wrote: the new forum software does allow you to host the image on woodnet.  so when you create a post you will see below where you are writing the post:

New attachment - chose file  (click that)

Then you will browse on your computer where the image is and chose it

Then click the button on the left that says "Add Attachment"

The picture can't be too large so make sure you have resized it if needed before attempting to upload

Then put your cursor where you want the picture in your post and click "insert into post"

You should see something like [attachment =2280]   (the number will be different)

The photo should show up when you preview the post  (as in my example below)  Then post it  Hope this helps

I does appear to work

Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Just a comment on PostImage. Some time back in 2018 (I think), they changed their provider to https://postimg.cc

I have been using the site without interruption since. It is as easy to access from my MacBook Pro as my iPad. Photobucket was always a pain to access on the iPad.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I've been using SMUGMUG for a couple years with out a problem.   Simple navigation, and easy management of your pics.