Bandsaw bearings need replacement
Hello everyone,

Back in 2011 a bunch of the finest humans that I know (from Woodnet) surprised me with the best gift that I've ever been given.

You guys got me a Grizzly 0457 bandsaw.

I love it and use it every time I'm in the shop.

However I've been having trouble with the bearings seizing. The worst is the lower thrust bearing. It is completely frozen.

It was running back on Monday when I first got into the shop and I noticed my cuts started wondering quite a bit.

Well the bearings are very stiff and the lower thrust bearing is frozen.

So I think it's time to replace the bearings or upgrade the guides.

So I have two questions:

1) Do you recommend that I replace the bearings or upgrade the guides all together?

2) whichever you recommend what bearings/guide would you recommend?

This is my favorite and most used tool so I'm happy to spend the money on the best guides out there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
Peter

My "day job"
[attachment=7183]
Peter,  I have the GO513x2,  which I think used similar guides.  The stock ball bearings on mine did seize within a few years.  I bought new replacements from Accurate Bearings,  but eventually converted to a different system.  It was pretty cheap, and while I think the concept of ball bearings as low friction on the sides of the blade sounds appealing, I decided I agreed with those who say the contact area is tiny, and so they like a bigger area.  I just soldered some round steel rod to a square hollow metal tube for the upper and lower assemblies, and cut up some lignum vitae I had lying around.  I still use ball bearings for the thrust bearings.

Attached Files Image(s)

(01-11-2018, 07:51 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Well the bearings are very stiff and the lower thrust bearing is frozen.

I usually buy good quality bearings when maintaining my machines but guide and thrust bearings are different.  They're disposable wear items that are easily accessible so I buy inexpensive ones in multipacks similar to these.  

[Image: 25770504558_46a4166685_b.jpg]

Mike
(01-11-2018, 07:51 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Hello everyone,

Back in 2011 a bunch of the finest humans that I know (from Woodnet) surprised me with the best gift that I've ever been given.

However I've been having trouble with the bearings seizing. The worst is the lower thrust bearing. It is completely frozen.

It was running back on Monday when I first got into the shop and I noticed my cuts started wondering quite a bit.

So I have two questions:

1) Do you recommend that I replace the bearings or upgrade the guides all together?

This is my favorite and most used tool so I'm happy to spend the money on the best guides out there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

I buy the same ones Ohio Mike describes , can't go wrong.
(01-11-2018, 07:51 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: However I've been having trouble with the bearings seizing. The worst is the lower thrust bearing. It is completely frozen.

Ceramics.  Turners friend, since wet wood won't bother 'em, slicker than snot, and resin wipes off with a solvent-soaked rag.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I had asked this very question a few years ago and someone said to take the bearing apart and clean them. Very easy to do with a utility knife by popping off the outer sleeve and blowing it out with a compressor. This is what I have been doing and works great. I would agree that side bearing isn't the best method, but it is what my saw has.
When I was in a pinch, I sprayed the bearings with WD40...kinda got the gunk out until I had the replacements .

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
O Boy it is so nice to see you posting again. 
Yes
Yes

I have a Grizzly bandsaw also and have had to replace those bearings on all of them almost twice and now.  I will now replace them with ceramic and I sent the bearing to this company who said they will make any that is needed.

http://www.spaceageceramicguideblocks.com/Contact.html

They said all I have to do is let them know when I need one, but if I did I would replace them all.  O and also they will do the double bearing in one piece which I asked also.

Hope this helps and again SO glad to see you posting again
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-11-2018, 07:51 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Hello everyone,

So I have two questions:

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
Best quality double-sealed ball bearings...worn seals allow dust {which contains silica} into the bearing race way, which causes wear quickly.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-13-2018, 03:40 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: O Boy it is so nice to see you posting again. 
Yes 
Yes

Thanks Arlin,

Life has kept me busy and I'm trying to find a better balance between work (which I love) and shop time.

Now that I'm in the shop more I'm  thinking that I'll be posting more.

Back to the point:
I was chatting with Janus about this and I realized that I really love the saw but the adjustments on the guides are a real pain. 

I know that ceramic replacements would be great but then I'd still have to fuss with the setup (which moves once you tighten the set screws).  In other words replacing the bearings with ceramic blocks still leaves me with guides that are hard to setup.

So I sent an email to carter to see about their micro adjust guides and if they can sell me a model that will fit on the G0457.

We'll see what they say.  I know that they have guides that will fit my saw but they still require tools to adjust.

The ceramic replacement blocks are a second option.

Thanks again
Peter

My "day job"