Plan for modern or contemporary dresser?
Can anyone refer me to a good plan for a modern or contemporary dresser (i.e., post mission-style)? I've admired furniture by Nakashima and Maloof, but I don't know where to turn for a plan. I'm a little nervous about making my own.
Would something like this be close. It's based on a Danish piece dated to 1935. I've detailed it and a plan could be developed without much trouble.

Working out your own plans for furniture pieces doesn't have to be difficult whether you draw them on paper or on the computer. Take what you know about joinery and work out the details.
I build from a simple drawing with what I think I want it to look like. I feel the most important aspect of planning a build is to size it to fit the room or space you'll be using it in.

I chamfered the drawer front edges to hide the gap around it as it ages.

[Image: 20180112_141415_zpslqmbctt9.jpg]

[Image: 20180112_182920_zps9jihstmk.jpg]
Learning to draw your own plans is a valuable skill which I encourage all ww'ers to.

You will learn about proportions, details about joinery, assembly process, and material estimation, not to mention the anatomy of furnture.

Invariably, you will add you own personality to the design which give more satisfaction than simply following a plan.

Personally I use a drafting table, Sketchup learning curve too steep for this old dog......

A big drawback to following plans is along with what GlenS ^ said. Plans are "one size fits all" often and in order to change dimensions, you have to change everything like drawer layout.

This is another reason why you should do your own drawings. You can customize the proportions of the piece to the room its going in. For example, a dresser may be located only on one wall and there could be a limitation to the width, which in turns, dictates the height to maintain proportions, which in turn dictates # & layout of drawers.
Here it sets in it's final resting place. We are heading out to some antique shops today for some pulls. Otherwise it's ready to be loaded with about 250 cd's. LOL

It's a tight fit. That's why I recommend drawing it yourself. One bit of advice I'd like to add is to always take your dimensions along the floor. You can't make the finished piece smaller & I doubt you'll want to change or remove the trim work.

[Image: 20180114_171643_zpsswc420xq.jpg]