Arranging new shop - advice appreciated!
We moved into a new home in October and I'm just now trying to get my new space set up. Coming from a tiny shop with a 7' ceiling, I don't know what to do with my new 15'x31' space with 10' ceilings! I've drawn it out sort of to scale on graph paper and placed some cut outs where I was thinking about putting what I have. My 30+ years of woodworking has been in a ridiculously small space and I don't even really know where I'd "prefer" to have things laid out. So any input is appreciated.
Paul
[/url]
[url=http://s982.photobucket.com/user/plharrison/media/IMG_4572.jpg.html][Image: IMG_4572.jpg]
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm
Draw out a 8' 2x4 and a full sheet of plywood and move them around the drawing like you will when you start making sawdust.

see what you smack into and have to lift over, etc.

Think about your old work habits and what got in the way, etc.

I've decided to put my bench in the middle since I'm always working on all sides. Benches against the wall are just junk collectors for me.

What about your portable tools? I've built a square shelf unit (2'x2') on casters for my sanders, routers, jig saw, drill and driver. It follows me everywhere. Also got a 3'x3' drawer unit for small hand tools, drill bits, router bits, measuring tools, etc.

And what about power? Outlets and cords? Ceiling drops prevent tripping but get in the way of long boards.

What about the next additions? Drill press, etc.
Wink

Have fun but think twice ahead of time!

(I did the same thing when I was planning my current 1-1/2 garage shop and it's gotten crowded as things get moved, added, etc. )
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Move the wood rack to the work bench and put the work bench in the middle of the floor north of the Table Saw so that you can get around all sides of the bench.
If you have a lathe, it is nice to be in the open too.
I think....
Wild Turkey,
"Think about your old work habits and what got in the way,"
Lol, that was about everything! A bunch of stuff had to be mobile. It will be nice not to have to do that for sure. By the way, I do have a drill press; just forgot about it. I think I can squeeze it in pretty easily somewhere. I agree with you that the workbench would be better with all sides available as AgGEM said as well. 

AgGEM,
Good suggestion about the switch of the wood rack (which I've never had room for) and the workbench. I think that'd be better.

As far as portable tools, I can figure that out as I go along. The reason I'm trying to sort this out first is so I know where I place my lights, as well as running my PVC to hook up dust collection system, and electrical outlets. 

Thanks for the input!
Paul
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm
Movement of wood though jointer and planer move same direction. I put mine next to each other, jointer fence tube just behind infeed planer table. Moving jointer fence in fees up full planer table. They can share dc run that way as well with a wye.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I just went thru all that last may, moving from a 12 x 20 to a 24 x 30.  I planned and worried it out, and fiddled for the six weeks the contractor was building.  I used the setup for seven months, and only made a few changes.  Pay careful attention to the relationship between your most used tools, your workbench, toolboxes, and most used powertools, like the tablesaw and drill press.

I can turn from the tablesaw and be at the workbench.  Move to the other side of the workbench, and the tool boxes and drill press are at hand. Pics if you like.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
With a 14 ft width to work with, I would consider placing the right hand side of the table saw up against a wall. (If you don't have a router in that table saw wing)

I would want my miter station closer to my table saw too as I go between the two often. This would depend upon your work habits.  Some only use the miter station to rough cut their lumber before going further.  I use my miter station for the final dimension cutting of pieces.

I like my table saw, workbench and miter saw to be close because I go between them often.  30 ft is a long way to walk if you do it often.  As they say YMMV.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary and those who do not.
Here's what I see. Trimming a project means a lot of trips to the miter saw so I would swap the wood rack & work bench. Pull it out 24"-30" from the wall if you like to work all around it. For now it's against the wall so that isn't necessary.

Push your table saw towards the miter saw while leaving it in the middle of the floor. Stop when the saw reaches the area between the planer & jointer.

My thoughts on setting the table saw there are so that you have a place to lay your boards as you process them from jointer to planer.
You're somewhere in the 12' & 18' range for dust collection on these chip behemoths as well. Will your DC pull that far. I ask because I'm new & have no idea how big your dust collector is.

One last thought. I have a 12x32 work area. My preference is to have everything mobile for easy cleanup. I'm also lucky in that this is my 1st work shop so I didn't have a smaller shop to begin in. So I'm thinking I would prefer to keep things a little more compact at 1st. You'll also want your clamps close by. For me having them more than 8' -10' away would be a huge hassle. I hope this helps.
(01-12-2018, 05:29 PM)plharrison Wrote: We moved into a new home in October and I'm just now trying to get my new space set up. Coming from a tiny shop with a 7' ceiling, I don't know what to do with my new 15'x31' space with 10' ceilings! I've drawn it out sort of to scale on graph paper and placed some cut outs where I was thinking about putting what I have. My 30+ years of woodworking has been in a ridiculously small space and I don't even really know where I'd "prefer" to have things laid out. So any input is appreciated.
Paul
[/url]
[url=http://s982.photobucket.com/user/plharrison/media/IMG_4572.jpg.html][Image: IMG_4572.jpg]

I have about the same area; and things have been moved around over 15 years as the shop and my work has evolved.  I keep both my BSs mobile, as well as my 8" jointer and 15" planer, and I'd recommend that as when you start assembly of something, or finishing, you need extra space; the only stationary tools are the tablesaw, lathe and dust collector.  I'd second the suggestion of putting the bench were you can use both sides.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Just to add to the confusion - the only thing that jumps out at me is having the miter saw on a wall less than 16' long.  Mine is on a long wall with the blade a little over 8' from the end.  It also lines up with the exit door.  Although I don't do it often that allows me to handle stock more than 16' long.  That came in handy when I was cutting siding or other long boards.

Phil