Simple Landing and Stair down into Garage (Complete Newbie)
Hello Woodnet,

I have never done any major woodworking projects besides cutting a board or two with a circular saw. But I'm a homeowner now and this needs to change!

I have 2 concrete steps going from the house down into the garage. I would like to turn this into a landing and a step. What would be the most reasonable/simplest way to accomplish this? I have watched a few tutorials ion stair building and deck building but I'm concerned they may be overkill for my needs

What do you think the best direction would be? 

Many thanks in advance.

Imgur album of steps
This should be pretty straightforward. With the gap on the right side of the steps, you have easy access to the floor. You should be able to build platform, essentially a table with 4 legs made of cedar 4x4. Look at the way residential decks are constructed. You can make the stairs in the conventional way or, if that is too daunting, you could make a couple of inverted boxes. If you send me a private message with some dimensions, I could make a detailed sketch for you. This is a quickie sketch using the inverted boxes suggestion.
You can build a plywood box (a landing plus two steps) over the existing stairs. Cut the sides (you'll probably have to scribe the bottom of the box to the floor slope) and attach the risers and a nailer strip which will attach to the wall under the door threshold. You may want to use thicker material for the landing and stair treads. Overhang the sides and risers an inch for looks. Use blocking to support the center of the landing and treads, if necessary. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSf-PKxmTLQ
I did the opposite. I had two wooden steps in my garage and I hated them. They trapped dirt and debris and got wet in the winter. I formed up a landing and step, added a bit of rebar and poured a concrete landing and step. When it was fully cured I painted it all with floor paint. Now, I can wash the garage out a couple times a year and not worry about the water. No debris gets under the stairs and they are as solid as... concrete. Note, to keep them from moving I drilled a couple holes for rebar pins to anchor the new concrete to the old.
WoodNET... the new safespace