sketchup question
I am pretty new to skecthup but I know the basics and can build up simple things from scratch. What I'm hoping to learn more about is how to use the 3D warehouse to design cabinets and generate a cutlist. I have installed the cutlist extension but am unsure how to use it with premade cabinets from the 3D warehouse. My hope is to find the style of cabinet I want, adjust the dimensions, and create a cutlist. Ideally I'd like to be able to do this for an entire kitchen worth of cabinets. Any ideas how to accomplish this?
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
(01-12-2018, 10:45 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: I am pretty new to skecthup but I know the basics and can build up simple things from scratch. What I'm hoping to learn more about is how to use the 3D warehouse to design cabinets and generate a cutlist. I have installed the cutlist extension but am unsure how to use it with premade cabinets from the 3D warehouse. My hope is to find the style of cabinet I want, adjust the dimensions, and create a cutlist. Ideally I'd like to be able to do this for an entire kitchen worth of cabinets. Any ideas how to accomplish this?

It would be possible to do this if, and this is the big if, the cabinets you download from the 3D Warehouse are drawn with the intent of being used that way. Often the cabinets are drawn as simple boxes designed for show not for construction. In order to get a cutlist you'll need to have each part you'd make in the shop as a component. If you can find this sort of cabinet in the 3D Warehouse, you'll be in good shape.

Kitchen cabinets aren't especially difficult to draw up in SketchUp and I would suggest doing them yourself. You can make them as you would build them. Once you drawn the first, the rest can be made from it meaning you don't have to draw every one from scratch. If you want a hand working that out, I'd be happy to help you. Drop me a PM.
That's what I figured. I also figured there must be some industrious soul out there who's put the work into including every component in a cabinet and sharing it. Is there a way to sort through all the different cabinets in 3D warehouse to find out how they're made?

Thanks for the offer of help. I'll keep it in mind but I can usually muddle my way through building up cabinets. I really just need to commit some time to tinkering around and watching a few videos. There's no shortage of instructions out there on you tube.

It might be that someone has uploaded detailed cabinet models but finding them will take some poking. You might find some information in the descriptions as you sort through all of the cabinet models. You can most likely skip cabinets uploaded by manufacturers so that'll help you narrow it down. In my experience with 3D Warehouse content, most often, it's faster to draw my own than it is to make what someone has uploaded usable.
Again you are confirming my suspicion. It seems like stuff from the warehouse is mostly for looks, which has it's place but does me no good in my pursuits of a shortcut. In my brief experience so far, I would have to agree that it might be quicker to start from scratch than to search through the hundreds of options in the warehouse.

One more question to put out there. Has anyone used Bob Lang's sketchup guides? There is a new one specifically for kitchen design but at $35 I'm a little hesitant. Is it worth it?

(01-13-2018, 12:41 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: One more question to put out there. Has anyone used Bob Lang's sketchup guides? There is a new one specifically for kitchen design but at $35 I'm a little hesitant. Is it worth it?

I haven't seen Bob's Kitchen Design guide so I can't answer. It depends upon what you need. If you are up to speed on using SketchUp correctly, learning to draw out the cabinets for a kitchen won't take very long to learn.