Face Shield works
Thumbs Up 
I'm sure glad I was wearing the face shield, when this happened. I was putting the finishing touch on the outside of the bowl (slightest scrapping with just sharpened gouge) and in 1/10th of a blinking of an eye, the broken piece smacked me right in the face shield.

I knew there were a few hairline cracks... but I didn't think it would come apart.

[Image: SZbQbG.jpg]

But... I slapped on some CA glue... and I will gently sand it.

[Image: 7jYsIU.jpg]
(01-12-2018, 11:37 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: I'm sure glad I was wearing the face shield, when this happened. I was putting the finishing touch on the outside of the bowl (slightest scrapping with just sharpened gouge) and in 1/10th of a blinking of an eye, the broken piece smacked me right in the face shield.

I knew there were a few hairline cracks... but I didn't think it would come apart.

[Image: SZbQbG.jpg]

Took a pretty good dig with the scraper, judging by the photo.  One of the reasons why broad scraping presentations and endgrain don't mix.  

Once again, the wood looks ordinary, which means low tolerance for cracks.  If you knew they were there, you should have been reinforcing them all along, though nothing would keep you secure from a dig like the one in the picture.

One thing further - don't stand in the disintegration zone while turning.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(01-13-2018, 06:39 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Took a pretty good dig with the scraper, judging by the photo.  One of the reasons why broad scraping presentations and endgrain don't mix.  

Once again, the wood looks ordinary, which means low tolerance for cracks.  If you knew they were there, you should have been reinforcing them all along, though nothing would keep you secure from a dig like the one in the picture.  

Thanks for sharing this.  New turners like me need to see stuff like this to keep us humble...
next time use wood glue.  CA is not the best bond for wood
I like the shape 
Yes oh nice lathe , I have a pm too
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
I too agree that the bowl has a pleasing shape.

Is it finished yet?
(01-13-2018, 06:39 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Took a pretty good dig with the scraper, judging by the photo.  One of the reasons why broad scraping presentations and endgrain don't mix.  

To be clearer... I only noticed a few slight cracks... that I DID put CA glue on. I thought I addressed the issue properly. ALSO, there was no "catch" at all with the "slight scraping". The wood broke apart from centrifical force mostly.

I didn't realize the slight cracks lined up to create a piece of the bowl.
(01-13-2018, 10:44 AM)Woodshop Wrote: next time use wood glue.  CA is not the best bond for wood
I like the shape 
Yes oh nice lathe , I have a pm too

Your advise is right, I wish I had it earlier. I CA'd the piece back on and sanding down 320 grit. Alll was going well. Then I put on the shellac finish, and the piece broke off again. At that point, I had a shellac laden piece and in a hurried panic, I slapped on more CA and held it.

Then walked away. I haven't been in the shop since, so I don't know.
(01-13-2018, 10:56 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: I too agree that the bowl has a pleasing shape.

Is it finished yet?

The previous message addresses the current status. Thanks for the compliment.

Soon, I'll go to the shop and decide if this is a bowl, or some fancy firewood.

Midwest

Glad you were wearing the shield to.

MM

You have better eyes then mine since I do not see the dig in.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-13-2018, 12:07 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: Your advise is right, I wish I had it earlier. I CA'd the piece back on and sanding down 320 grit. Alll was going well. Then I put on the shellac finish, and the piece broke half broke off again. At that point, I had a shellac laden piece and in a hurried panic, I slapped on more CA and held it.

Then walked away. I haven't been in the shop since, so I don't know.

Something to think about is shellac has Alcohol and it will affect the CA glue
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.