Show me your homemade bowl thickness gauges !
Big Grin    
I saw a really slick bowl thickness gauge for sale at our favorite lathe supply store. It is $70... and I thought it can't be that hard to make one just like that.

So... I thought I would come to this forum and ask you guys to show whatever creations you have made.
  Re: Show me your homemade bowl thickness gauges ! by MidwestMan (I saw a really slick...)
From Pintrest

Attached Files Image(s)

Re: Show me your homemade bowl thickness gauges ! by MidwestMan (I saw a really slick...)
I have this pair of calipers from Penn state industries

Attached Files Image(s)

Re: RE: Show me your homemade bowl thickness gauges ! by Dusty Workshop (I have this pair of ...)
(01-13-2018, 08:22 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: I have this pair of calipers from Penn state industries

Thank you Dusty for the replies. I have a similar tool as this photo, but it is made so cheaply, at the points, the metal flexes out to the side and doesn't give an accurate reading.

I like your first message with the drawing/sketch, it's on my "to do" list.

Thanks.  Smile
  Re: RE: Show me your homemade bowl thickness gauges ! by Dusty Workshop (From Pintrest...)
(01-13-2018, 07:54 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: From Pintrest

That is about the exact some one I drew up several years ago and have never gotten around to getting the steel to bend it or make the sleeve to put the other rod in.
I was going to make the curved lip at 3/4" tho.
It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

Hi, I'm Arlin's proud wife! His brain trma & meds-give memory probs and has pain from injuries, but all is well materially & financially.
Arlin you don't need a tube.
You could use a pen blank.
Drill a hole through it the same diameter of your dowel.
Then drill a small hole next to that the diameter of your wire.
A thick coat hanger wire would work for the wire.
I have a similar pair of calipers that Dusty linked to. Strange thing, when I started actually using them my turning got more consistent....
Janus was a disaster, coming or going - K. L, McReynolds 07/01/2015

My blog: http://wcwoodworking.blogspot.com/