How to remove lead paint
An acquaintance has asked me the best way, or proper way, to remove lead paint from an antique cabinet.  I'm assuming that they will be repainting it, but regardless they want to remove the lead paint anyway.  I suggested heat gun and scrappers but is there any other means without the harsh chemical approach.

Thanks,

Mike
(01-13-2018, 12:57 PM)CanoeBoy Wrote: An acquaintance has asked me the best way, or proper way, to remove lead paint from an antique cabinet.  I'm assuming that they will be repainting it, but regardless they want to remove the lead paint anyway.  I suggested heat gun and scrappers but is there any other means without the harsh chemical approach.

Thanks,

Mike
What many folks fail to realize/admit is the fact lead in the human body has long term effects, some deadly. An exposure of this type can cause serious health effects later on.

Heat gun/scrapers is the second worst method, second only to sanding.

Safest way---professionals.

If they are intent on DIY, non-toxic strippers(the orange/etc. kinds) and doing the job outside(in a safe area for animals) along with face masks(NOT dust masks---respirators minimum) and protective disposable gloves/clothing. Keep everything moist/wet and put all waste in sealable containers---and take to a hazmat disposable facility.
Google'd around and wet sanding with all the protective garb seems popular. Lots of good reads on the subject and really is an eye opener as to how ignorant we are. My sister is a Speach Therapist and 20 yrs ago worked with an incredible number of people with brain damage believed to be from lead paint.