Roll-Off Camper For Small Trailer
This is basically my second topic posted.  I have always wanted to do camping, but am not someone who like sleeping in soft walled things like tents.  I like to go on trips to gold mine, and I need a way of staying on the site for a week.  Right now I have to travel to and from the site to stay in a motel, which is kind of expensive.

So my thought is to try to build a basic camper sleeper unit that I can winch on and off my Snowbear trailer.  I hope I can create a 4x7.5 foot boxy shell.  I might try to create either a curved or 45 degree angle in front to help reduce trailer drag when on the highway.  Not sure such a thing is necessary.  I only drive 55mph maximum.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has ever built a teardrop trailer, or some other kind of sleeper trailer.  I would like to get help in this endeavour.

I need to keep the sleeper unit as light as possible.  So, I will need help on just how I go about creating very light, but strong sides, ceiling and flooring.  Something that can take some occasionally bumpy dirt roads.  I know this trailer and my car can handle these dirt roads, but really need the sleeper unit to not fall apart from the jolting it will get when off paved roads.

My first question about making the sides is when I create the shapes I decide, is it better to cut them out just outside the lines drawn on the sheet of wood, and then come back with a sander and bring the the edges of the wood down to the line.  I've found that I sometimes don't cur straight with a jig saw, so I need a way of not cutting into the lines, and having to find a way to fix my mistakes.

Anyway, I do hope I can build something as complex as this.  It will be the most ambitious project I have ever undertaken.  CaleyAnn
Have a look at tear drop campers. They sound like they'd be right of your creek. The curved surface of the top will give you a great deal of strength from a thin oanel. 1/4 in. plywood will be plenty.

You might be better off buying a trailer you can dedicate to the camper. You can get inexpensive small trailers to use for such a project.
(01-13-2018, 04:47 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: You might be better off buying a trailer you can dedicate to the camper. You can get inexpensive small trailers to use for such a project.

I seem to recall there's a whole subset of teardrop builders who base them on the Harbor Freight 4x8 ft non-folding trailer as a base.  It's about the cheapest road legal trailer you can buy, especially when it's on sale, but all you need for something as light as a teardrop camper.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(01-13-2018, 04:52 PM)TDKPE Wrote: I seem to recall there's a whole subset of teardrop builders who base them on the Harbor Freight 4x8 ft non-folding trailer as a base.  It's about the cheapest road legal trailer you can buy, especially when it's on sale, but all you need for something as light as a teardrop camper.

That's kind of what I was thinking of. And a Google search for "Tear Drop Trailer Plans" there are a lot of options.
I've Been trying to join another Forum about Teardrop Campers, but so far I have not received a reply from the owner.  I wrote another introduction letter today, and hope I will get a reply this coming week.

I keep hearing about Harbor Frieght trailers, but when I go online to their site, they do not have them listed.  Maybe I am missing something.  I would rather purchase one of those, as it would make it easier getting into and out of the sleeper box.  My Snowbear has permanent reailes all the way around, which I would have to figure out how to cut out where the doors would go.  And I am guessing my doing so would weaken my trailer  So, could you give me a URL for the Harbor Frieght 4x8 trailer.  It may be that I do not know how to do proper searches on the web.

As for the skin for the camper. I guess the 1/4 inch would be fine for the sides and top, but not sure if 1/4 inch would be strong enough for the bottom.  I plan on using 2/4's, and stripping them down to 1 1/2 square for the framing.  I was also thinking the interior walls only need to be 1/8 inch thick.

I also plan on only having 12VDC power for the LED lights, ceiling fan unit, and any other electronics I want.  I am hoping I can get away with two deep cell batteries that can charge with a solar panel mounted to a slide out panel located in the roof. I don't know much about electrical wiring and solar, but I am guessing that I can learn from the web.

My trailer back would be very basic, with cupboards, and a shelf that I could locate a small kitchen type setup. 

I've tried looking for free tear drop camper plans, but so far all I have found are either those you pay a fee for, or those who required personal information, which I refuse to provide, when something is advertised as free.

CaleyAnn
You might want to go thicker for the bottom but I expect 3/8 in. will be plenty since you'll have a frame under it anyway. 

I would expect to pay for plans. For something like this, you want to make sure you get something decent.
Gents, I decided on an alternate plan. I am getting old, 68 years young, but starting to feel my age. So I Googled "Cargo Trailers", And found one that is only 500#. It is 4x6, but has a pointed nose, so it is actually nearly 80 inches of interior length in the middle. It is only $1600. I will be asking the dealer if putting in a side door, and adding a roof ceiling fan is possible, as well as customizing the interior with cupboards and other things to make it at least livable for a basic camper. The nice thing about this trailer is it is pretty tall, so there should be plenty of room along the top area for cupboards. Of course, I need to learn how to make nice cupboards and drawers that are also light weight. That will be where I have to ask help from all of you.

I think this is the better way to go. It eliminates my trashing a lot of wood because of my inexperience in wood working. I usually have to go through two to three tries before I finally come up with something that looks halfway decent, and that can be expensive.

At least this trailer can be towed with my little SUV, if I can keep the weight down below 860#'s

Thanks for your suggestions. It got me thinking more rationally. CaleyAnn
(01-13-2018, 06:21 PM)CaleyAnn Wrote: Gents,  I decided on an alternate plan.  I am getting old, 68 years young, but starting to feel my age.  So I Googled "Cargo Trailers", And found one that is only 500#.  It is 4x6, but has a pointed nose, so it is actually nearly 80 inches of interior length in the middle.  It is only $1600.  I will be asking the dealer if putting in a side door, and adding a roof ceiling fan is possible, as well as customizing the interior with cupboards and other things to make it at least livable for a basic camper.  The nice thing about this trailer is it is pretty tall, so there should be plenty of room along the top area for cupboards.  Of course, I need to learn how to make nice cupboards and drawers that are also light weight.  That will be where I have to ask help from all of you.

I think this is the better way to go.  It eliminates my trashing a lot of wood because of my inexperience in wood working.  I usually have to go through two to three tries before I finally come up with something that looks halfway decent, and that can be expensive.

At least this trailer can be towed with my little SUV, if I can keep the weight down below 860#'s

Thanks for your suggestions.  It got me thinking more rationally.  CaleyAnn
I would not buy a trailer with wheels smaller than my car...Look at how many you see broken down on interstates because of tire or bearing failure. Small tires take a beating going that fast.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

MsNomer had a long thread on a van conversion (https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=6961215).  Unfortunately, Photo Bucket will not show the photos any more.  I believe you can click and see them though.  It is not exactly what you are looking for, but Carolyn likely will chime in and give advice.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
If you change your mind and decide to DIY, this looks like a good one.

http://www.goodshomedesign.com/diy-teard...g-trailer/