Favorite Digital Gauge Brand
I see there are many players in the lower end gauge game.  I purchased the Wixey digital angle gauge when it first came out, but it is a piece of junk.  It is accurate, but it eats batteries like M&M's.  I have a couple of HF calipers I am happy with.  I have an igaging digital protractor which works well.  I know Starrett is the gold standard, but I cannot afford the gold, as a hobbyist (I did manage to pick up a dial caliper and vernier micrometer used).  

With that said, I am going to pick up a digital height gauge.  I see the Wixey rates higher than Igaging on Amazon, but my experience with them is less than stellar.  There are some other lesser known brands showing up as well.  I would like to hear comments on digital height gauges as well as digital gauging brands in general.  As always, thanks for the input.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Does it have to be digital? I have one of these. It's very good and I prefer analog to digital for this sort of thing. It doesn't need batteries, either.
[Image: PRO2.jpg]

If it has to be digital, there's this one

I have a Wixey DRO on my Dewalt DW735 planer. It also ate batteries like M&Ms so I have gotten in the habit of taking them out when I'm not using the planer. I've thought about rewiring it to run from a couple of AAs instead.
(01-14-2018, 08:19 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: Does it have to be digital? I have one of these. It's very good and I prefer analog to digital for this sort of thing. It doesn't need batteries, either.

Dave, I kind of like that.  There are advantages to the dial.   It is easier to watch the adjustment sneak into position.  I can even see using that to set the table saw fence.  In conjunction with some 1-2-3 or 2-4-6 blocks I should be able to quickly get repeatable setups up to 12 or so inches from the blade.
(01-14-2018, 08:47 AM)Cecil Wrote: Dave, I kind of like that.  There are advantages to the dial.   It is easier to watch the adjustment sneak into position.  I can even see using that to set the table saw fence.  In conjunction with some 1-2-3 or 4-5-6 blocks I should be able to quickly get repeatable setups up to 12 or so inches from the blade.

I agree with you. If you go to the link I shared, there's a video showing it being used in several different ways as well as a PDF download you can take a look at.
(01-14-2018, 08:50 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: I agree with you. If you go to the link I shared, there's a video showing it being used in several different ways as well as a PDF download you can take a look at.

Wow, that was expensive.

They charge shipping.  It looks like actual shipping, not shipping plus handling.  So I might just as well add on one more product, right?  There were a couple of items that were actually cheaper than Amazon, quickly making up for the shipping charge.  I had my eye on them, so I might just as well add them to the cart now too, right?

I am still in the divorced state, so I can get away with that, but anyhow, the gauge you suggested is on its way, plus some goodies to add to my tool collection.  Thanks.
(01-14-2018, 08:07 AM)Cecil Wrote: I see there are many players in the lower end gauge game.  I purchased the Wixey digital angle gauge when it first came out, but it is a piece of junk.  It is accurate, but it eats batteries like M&M's. 

Mine averages a battery every 6 months or so.........?? And I buy them by the pack of 10 off amazon. And they are cheap batteries.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-14-2018, 02:41 PM)Cecil Wrote: Wow, that was expensive.

Expensive because you added to the order?
Smile

Enjoy using it. I like mine.
(01-14-2018, 04:13 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: Expensive because you added to the order?
Smile

Enjoy using it. I like mine.

Yep, because of the add-ons.  Individually the items were reasonably priced.
(01-14-2018, 08:07 AM)Cecil Wrote: I see there are many players in the lower end gauge game.  I purchased the Wixey digital angle gauge when it first came out, but it is a piece of junk.  It is accurate, but it eats batteries like M&M's.  I have a couple of HF calipers I am happy with.  I have an igaging digital protractor which works well.  I know Starrett is the gold standard, but I cannot afford the gold, as a hobbyist (I did manage to pick up a dial caliper and vernier micrometer used).  

With that said, I am going to pick up a digital height gauge.  I see the Wixey rates higher than Igaging on Amazon, but my experience with them is less than stellar.  There are some other lesser known brands showing up as well.  I would like to hear comments on digital height gauges as well as digital gauging brands in general.  As always, thanks for the input.

Here's a link to a company I have purchased tools from several times..Haven't found a place yet that sells tools cheaper than they do, altho they have a limited selection..

http://cdcotools.com/
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset