Favorite Digital Gauge Brand
I see there are many players in the lower end gauge game.  I purchased the Wixey digital angle gauge when it first came out, but it is a piece of junk.  It is accurate, but it eats batteries like M&M's.  I have a couple of HF calipers I am happy with.  I have an igaging digital protractor which works well.  I know Starrett is the gold standard, but I cannot afford the gold, as a hobbyist (I did manage to pick up a dial caliper and vernier micrometer used).  

With that said, I am going to pick up a digital height gauge.  I see the Wixey rates higher than Igaging on Amazon, but my experience with them is less than stellar.  There are some other lesser known brands showing up as well.  I would like to hear comments on digital height gauges as well as digital gauging brands in general.  As always, thanks for the input.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Does it have to be digital? I have one of these. It's very good and I prefer analog to digital for this sort of thing. It doesn't need batteries, either.
[Image: PRO2.jpg]

If it has to be digital, there's this one

I have a Wixey DRO on my Dewalt DW735 planer. It also ate batteries like M&Ms so I have gotten in the habit of taking them out when I'm not using the planer. I've thought about rewiring it to run from a couple of AAs instead.
(01-14-2018, 08:19 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: Does it have to be digital? I have one of these. It's very good and I prefer analog to digital for this sort of thing. It doesn't need batteries, either.

Dave, I kind of like that.  There are advantages to the dial.   It is easier to watch the adjustment sneak into position.  I can even see using that to set the table saw fence.  In conjunction with some 1-2-3 or 2-4-6 blocks I should be able to quickly get repeatable setups up to 12 or so inches from the blade.
(01-14-2018, 08:47 AM)Cecil Wrote: Dave, I kind of like that.  There are advantages to the dial.   It is easier to watch the adjustment sneak into position.  I can even see using that to set the table saw fence.  In conjunction with some 1-2-3 or 4-5-6 blocks I should be able to quickly get repeatable setups up to 12 or so inches from the blade.

I agree with you. If you go to the link I shared, there's a video showing it being used in several different ways as well as a PDF download you can take a look at.
(01-14-2018, 08:50 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: I agree with you. If you go to the link I shared, there's a video showing it being used in several different ways as well as a PDF download you can take a look at.

Wow, that was expensive.

They charge shipping.  It looks like actual shipping, not shipping plus handling.  So I might just as well add on one more product, right?  There were a couple of items that were actually cheaper than Amazon, quickly making up for the shipping charge.  I had my eye on them, so I might just as well add them to the cart now too, right?

I am still in the divorced state, so I can get away with that, but anyhow, the gauge you suggested is on its way, plus some goodies to add to my tool collection.  Thanks.
(01-14-2018, 08:07 AM)Cecil Wrote: I see there are many players in the lower end gauge game.  I purchased the Wixey digital angle gauge when it first came out, but it is a piece of junk.  It is accurate, but it eats batteries like M&M's. 

Mine averages a battery every 6 months or so.........?? And I buy them by the pack of 10 off amazon. And they are cheap batteries.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-14-2018, 02:41 PM)Cecil Wrote: Wow, that was expensive.

Expensive because you added to the order?
Smile

Enjoy using it. I like mine.
(01-14-2018, 04:13 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: Expensive because you added to the order?
Smile

Enjoy using it. I like mine.

Yep, because of the add-ons.  Individually the items were reasonably priced.
(01-14-2018, 08:07 AM)Cecil Wrote: I see there are many players in the lower end gauge game.  I purchased the Wixey digital angle gauge when it first came out, but it is a piece of junk.  It is accurate, but it eats batteries like M&M's.  I have a couple of HF calipers I am happy with.  I have an igaging digital protractor which works well.  I know Starrett is the gold standard, but I cannot afford the gold, as a hobbyist (I did manage to pick up a dial caliper and vernier micrometer used).  

With that said, I am going to pick up a digital height gauge.  I see the Wixey rates higher than Igaging on Amazon, but my experience with them is less than stellar.  There are some other lesser known brands showing up as well.  I would like to hear comments on digital height gauges as well as digital gauging brands in general.  As always, thanks for the input.

Here's a link to a company I have purchased tools from several times..Haven't found a place yet that sells tools cheaper than they do, altho they have a limited selection..

http://cdcotools.com/
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset