Two story shop question.
(01-14-2018, 02:26 PM)Lynden Wrote: Build a barn/attic elevator(lift). Can be built inside or attached to the outside of the building. Lots of good ideas on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjlZHgo2w-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqU2GU1LroQ

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...c+elevator

Those are really cool and would be a great way to transport things if I go forward.  Thanks for the links.
(01-14-2018, 11:55 AM)packerguy® Wrote: Is this for business or hobby use?

I am trying to make this a business and hopefully that will continue.
(01-15-2018, 07:43 AM)GlenS Wrote: Just out of curiosity. Why would you want to assemble on the 2nd floor? I always do a dry fit & like to be near the tools in case something needs trimmed or a piece needs remade.  Just seems like a lot of extra work in the end.

Is the building so small you need to use the extra space? A dedicated finishing room would be great tho.

I didn't designate which floor would used for what purposes but in a perfect world, I would put all the machines on the second floor.  Mill and fabricate on that floor with the first floor being finish and a display area.
(01-15-2018, 08:26 AM)RPE1 Wrote: Here are my farts.
A four post car lift is not expensive (in the great scheme of things) and just bolts to the floor.  No digging.  The travel  on it is only about five feet, however.   But there are ways to overcome this limitation. 
Is there single phase power already installed?
      Is it 200 amps?
      Do you live in an area that will allow you to do wiring yourself, or are you qualified to do your own wiring?
How big is the first floor area?
Will the floor withstand the weight of the tools?
Sounds like the floors are all wood.  Could be a problem, unless it is a commercial building.
Is second floor access adequate for hauling projects, machines and materials up and down?
What do you want to spend to make it happen?
It could be done!

I have not checked out the power.

The building previously had a hardware store in it.

The building would be given to me but obviously I can't afford to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get it to where it would serve my purposes.
I would nver want a split level shop.  What I would like is a two story project area.  

Downstairs: all woodworking, and wood storage.

Upstairs: Office, finishing area, craft area.

I think splitting these different tasks to different floors would help keep the dust out of the "clean" areas.
A carpenter's house is never done.
Many decades ago, the company I worked for bought some industrial land with old wooden buildings.  The 2-story building had heavy timber framing, and an elevator that looked big enough for a forklift, though I don't know if it had the capacity.  It was counterbalanced, and hand operated with manila rope over some sort of pulley that worked a winch or chain and sprockets (or something - it was 40 years ago).  Counterbalancing means you're only lifting the load (plus some operating friction), though that's a non-issue if using an electric chain or rope hoist.  

If you use an elevator concept, make sure it's big enough to get real things on, and strong enough that you can wrestle them onto the platform without breaking it with your own added weight.

Something like this:

Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"